• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer Angle drive

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The speedo on my BT7 quit last week. On pulling the angle drive on the overdrive, I found the short cable that inserts into the pinon bearing was broken. I was not supprised since the same thing happened 15 years ago. I think this must be a common failure since I see a lot of angle drives for sale on ebay.

The problem is I can't remove the broken piece of cable that is lodged in the pinon bearing. It's jammed inside and there isn't enough protruding to pull it out.

Any suggestion on how to remove it without damaging the internal square shoulders?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well that is a problem. However. if you have a drill press and a lockable table vise you may be able to drill and pick it out.Fwiw--Keoke

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
Maybe a dab of JB weld on the end of a rod very carefully. I presume you tried a strong magnet on a nail with the end flattened. My way of getting the ball out of the overdrive actuator.

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
Keoke,

Can angle drives be repaired?? If so who? Neisonger's?
I have a broken one also.
Thank you,

Tod

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had the same problem with mine and I just yanked out the broken piece with vice grips. I believe it is the same as the angle drive on MGB's. Have a good day!

John

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Can angle drives be repaired? Yes and that's what I'm hoping to do if I can get to broken piece of cable out of the pinon. I repaired this unit about 15 years ago and it worked fine for about 40,000 miles. Unforunately the short drive cable broke again. I think that is the common point of failure on these drives.
Here is the way I fixed it last time. Remove the disk that covers the large gear in angle unit. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the disk and used a nail to pry the disk out of the housing. Next use a thin punch to drive the remaining cable out of the gear shaft. The shaft is hollow so you can drive it from the gear end and remove it completely. Purchase a new speedometer cable from an auto supply. Ask for the shortest and cheapest one available. I think the cables are fairly standard as far as thickness and the size of the square ends. The ends should be 1/8 " square. Just measure your existing AH speedo or tack cable, the small one on the angle drive is the same thickness. Now cut of one end of the new cable to the lenght needed to go in the gear shaft and have the square end proturding out of the shaft about 3/4 of an inch. Put the gear back in the angle drive and test fit it to the overdrive or transmission it see if the cable engauges the square hole in the pinon. If everything looks good, JB weld the cable inside the gear shaft and replace the disk using JB Weld to seal it to the housing. You should be good for years to come.

I am considering using a short section of 1/8 inch square stock instead of the cable for the next fix. Anyone ever try that approach?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Rob, that is a good procedure to use I would like to add a simpl comment. Clean all the parts throughly prior to reassembly amd pack the unit with grease. I would not use solid srock for the pin however.--Keoke

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I need to make a correction to my comments on rebuilding the angle drive. The statement "the cables are fairly standard as far as thickness and the size of the square ends" is not correct. The typical American cables are smaller in diameter and will not work. You will need use a thicker cable that is the same size as the ones used on the Healey speedo/tack. They are .14in in diameter. That may be a British standard size since the last time I repaired the unit I used an old tack cable from an English-built Ford Dexta tractor. If you have an old cable laying around, you're in luck. If not you may need to buy a new cable.