• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer angle drive keeps breaking

JoeT12083

Freshman Member
Hi....I've been having a speedometer problem with my 1967 AH 3000. The angle drive keeps breaking at the pin that goes into the overdrive unit. The speedometer itself checks out OK and the cable is good as well. I put a new angle drive in today, went about a half mile and it broke again. Any ideas??? Thanks, Joe

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Joe,
The only thing that comes to mind is the cable itself may be a hair too long. Is it new? Are the new angle drives any different than the original as far as the receiver for the cable?

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
Hey Joe,

When you replaced the angle drive, did you also (re)install the copper washer between the angle drive and the OD unit? This washer is required for proper operation/spacing. Without it, the angle drive will bind (as I've been told).

Mark

OP
J

JoeT12083

Freshman Member
Hi Greg..I have the original cable and a new cable. Both break the piece. They appear to be the same length but I'll double check that later today.

OP
J

JoeT12083

Freshman Member
Hi Mark.....No I didn't. I didn't see any washer unless it fell out while I was removing the angle the first time and I didn't notice it. I'll go back and see if I see a washer on the floor or on the lift at my friends shop. I'll try it with a washer next time when I get another new angle drive. At $60 a pop I don't want to destroy too many more. Thanks, Joe

KevinBN7

Are either of your odometers locked up? This is what caused mine to break. I took the speedo apart and freed the gears that move the Trip ODO. and it has been fine since.

To test this remove the speedo cable from the angle drive and turn the cable by hand. if it turns freeley in the speedo no problem. if it binds or stops figure out why.

Good luck
Kevin R

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
That copper washer is important.
I was missing it also and my original angle drive bound up tighter than a tic within a few thousand miles.
My speedometer needle used to swing back and forth in a 5 to 8 MPH arc before the angle drive quit.
Now it is steady as a rock with a new angle drive and the washer.

OP
J

JoeT12083

Freshman Member
Definitely will install the washer. The trip meter and the odometer appear to be fine but I'll recheck the speedo again before installing anything. Thanks for the help.....Joe

OP
J

JoeT12083

Freshman Member
Nothing appears to be locked up. I checked the speedo with a drill but maybe I better do it by hand next time. I have to wait to get access to the lift again. Shouldn't be long. Thanks for the advice, Joe

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I decided to run the cable through a small hole I cut in the transmission tunnel and run the cable directly into the drive not using the angle drive. It fits under the transmission cover carpet and solves the problem.