• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

removing steering wheel...method?

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
I've checked the service manual, tried to search this forum but I cannot find the answer.

On my punch list is to either refinish/recover or replace the steering wheel. Is there an easy way to get my type of wheel off?

wheel.jpg

Country flag
Easy way? The short answer is no.

First, you have to remove the trafficator (turn-signal switch) and stator tube. The stator tube is two (2) pieces on cars (like yours) with an adjustable steering column, so you *may* get by with leaving the lower half in place. The downside is it will be more difficult to get the two (2) tubes put back together__AND THEY ONLY GO ONE (1) WAY__they are slit/indexed to prevent the upper portion from rotating in the lower portion. Many that I've seen have been damaged where they fit together.

Once you've removed the trafficator and wiring (suggest leaving a *pull wire* in the tube, attached to the wires as you pull them out). The aftermarket hub should have a couple of bolts securing it to the splined column There should be a circlip to remove from the splined column, that kept the wheel from sliding too far during normal adjustment range.

Are you sure that you don't want to just polish it up a bit while it's still on the car...?

Alternatively, you could just remove the screws/nuts holding the wheel to the Moto Lita hub, and see if that gets enough access for you.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Like Randy says above, just remove the screws holding the wheel to the mounting hub. The wheel is independent of the mounting hub and allows you to adjust for centering it or simply removing to clean up or polish it. Very simple task and will not require fooling with the trafficator assembly at all. Of course this is all predicated on using a Mota Lita style new wheel or your current one. Unless you are going back to an original Healey wheel most all of the replacements use the hub with detachable wheel.
Regards,
Mike

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Oh my. It does look from the picture that I can simply unbolt the wheel and remove it, but I swear I thought the opening in the wheel was smaller than the trafficator assembly. That would be wonderful, may have to leave work early to check it out!

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Wow, 9 screws and the thing is off. I feel like a dolt, but frankly I'm ok with it, since I got my wheel off in ten minutes!

The anodized surface is worn uneven and the leather is splotchy and worn through in some places. It is a nice Moto-Lita wheel and I'm thinking of bringing it to the local upholstery place and see if they would rewrap it. If they will, I will polish the spokes and have a nice piece that has some history with the car. That or just go buy an nice wood one :smile:

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
I visited my upholstery guy. He works on some high end cars. He said stitching it by hand to get it tight and even would be very difficult and he couldn't do the wheel justice. He told me that I would never be happy with it, besides he said, that car should have a wood wheel...which is probably what I will pursue.

Country flag
I know a guy that will rewrap the leather for you, if you want to go that route. He's done several wheels for BMW ///M Rdstr/Coupe forum members, and they're a picky lot! I even had him wrap my (originally dipped in plastic for a rim)go-kart steering wheel in leather; easily a 9.5 on a 10 scale. He had to build up an area where there was no (dipped) plastic (weld repairs) and it looks very period authentic.

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Hey Rick,

His steering wheels look like art pieces. Very nice. Thanks Randy, I think I have decided to go with the wood. Having been active in the cobra replica crowd for ten years, I have a good connection for a nice wheel and will probably go that route.