• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recent projects; long time coming...

Country flag
Finally got up the enthusiasm, time, and collection of parts and materials to get a few needed tasks accomplished on the Healey.

Classic Tube stainless steel brake lines; when I first inquired about them (20 years ago?) they didn't have patterns for the Big Healey. Now they have most of the models covered. Since I have a BN6 with 3000 front discs, I ordered the MKI/MKII non servo kit, so maybe that's why not all the tubes were a perfect fit. Close enough though, and only the 5-way (front) & 3-way (rear) adapters need slight relocating (approximately 1" each).

IMG_6485.sized.jpg

IMG_6484.sized.jpg

IMG_6487.sized.jpg

Pedal still feels a little mushy, so I guess I'm not done bleeding them yet...

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
Also redid the plumbing for the remote filter and oil cooler. The oil cooler itself was sourced from Racer's Parts Wholesale and all the hose and fittings came from Jeg's

IMG_6500.sized.jpg

IMG_6504.sized.jpg

IMG_6507.sized.jpg

IMG_6519.sized.jpg

IMG_6515.sized.jpg

IMG_6516.sized.jpg

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
Last, but not least, I finally put the long ARP lug-studs in the rear hubs (fronts were done years ago). I also put the sound deadening coating on the wheelwells and topcoated it with more Wine Red acrylic enamel/polyurethane/flexitive (PPG Delstar line).

IMG_6525.sized.jpg

IMG_6532.sized.jpg

IMG_6533.sized.jpg

IMG_6534.sized.jpg

Complicated, but it was a tough bolt to get into position.

IMG_6539.sized.jpg

IMG_6540.sized.jpg

IMG_6542.sized.jpg

IMG_6543.sized.jpg

IMG_6544.sized.jpg

IMG_6549.sized.jpg

IMG_6551.sized.jpg

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Interesting. Thanks Randy for the pics. I love that color btw. This might be an interesting thread for others as well.
I'll go next:
My buddy, Roger (AUSMHLY)in his (successful) quest for utter Healey perfection, has rubbed some of that nonesense off on me. I too have been taking care of all those little things that never seem to get attention. Still have a short list for the Winter but this year I got a lot done:

1.Installed new "crystal clear" halogen headlamps - wow, is all I can say.
2. Very important! Installed cup holders (easier than you might think)
3. Detailed the engine compartment, again.
4. Re-worked the driver's door fit to near perfection (thanks Rog)
5. Devised a simple way to neatly and efficiently carry tool set in the trunk
6. Had carbs and linkage rebuilt
7. Cleaned almost useless air filters - 40 years of gunk!
8. Replaced clutch slave cyl.
9. Pulled the 30 yr old Monza exhaust system, welded pinholes and painted it to like new cond.
10. Major refurbishing (20 hours) of the paint work on the XKE - thanks again Roger!
Anyone else get some good work done this year?

Randy '66 BJ8, '68 E-Type OTS

randy, it all looks great, is the wheel well stuff a spray or brush on? it looks like the stuff i just used to coat the bed of my new pick up truck sorta like "rhino" lining, i especialy like your up dated rendition of an old familiar italian hand jesture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
randy, it all looks great

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, it was a bit of work, but I'm glad to get it all done.

[ QUOTE ]
is the wheel well stuff a spray or brush on? it looks like the stuff i just used to coat the bed of my new pick up truck sorta like "rhino" lining

[/ QUOTE ]

Fusor 805: sprays on and the texture can be adjusted to nearly smooth or fairly aggressive. The only real downside, is when you start a project using whatever is left over in the gun__inconsistant results. Once I got into the new tubes, it all went on uniform.

dwm_224.jpg

dwm_226.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
i especialy like your up dated rendition of an old familiar italian hand jesture! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, literally SCREW you!

IMG_6537.sized.jpg

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info.

It looks like that Fusor 805 requires a dedicated application gun...right?
If so, do you have any idea of the cost of the gun?

[/ QUOTE ]
Much less than it looks; I think I paid about $68.00 for the gun and accessory tips (it does more than what you've seen by me). I think if you buy a case of the 805 tubes, they'll give you one free (check with supplier, not manufacturer).

For referrence, I used three (3) tubes doing the Healey's wheelwells (retail is $14.95/tube)

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Thanks Randy for the pics. I love that color btw. This might be an interesting thread for others as well.
I'll go next:
My buddy, Roger (AUSMHLY)in his (successful) quest for utter Healey perfection, has rubbed some of that nonesense off on me. I too have been taking care of all those little things that never seem to get attention. Still have a short list for the Winter but this year I got a lot done:

1.Installed new "crystal clear" halogen headlamps - wow, is all I can say.
2. Very important! Installed cup holders (easier than you might think)
3. Detailed the engine compartment, again.
4. Re-worked the driver's door fit to near perfection (thanks Rog)
5. Devised a simple way to neatly and efficiently carry tool set in the trunk
6. Had carbs and linkage rebuilt
7. Cleaned almost useless air filters - 40 years of gunk!
8. Replaced clutch slave cyl.
9. Pulled the 30 yr old Monza exhaust system, welded pinholes and painted it to like new cond.
10. Major refurbishing (20 hours) of the paint work on the XKE - thanks again Roger!
Anyone else get some good work done this year?

Randy '66 BJ8, '68 E-Type OTS

[/ QUOTE ]

"anyone else get some good work done this year?" Why yes I did on mine. In between helping you with your car, lol.
Being a Healey owner one does get to know their car. And may I add, gets to know and make some good friends along the way. Like the great people here and of course, close to home...my new friend, now long time 2 year friend Randy Harris.

In case you guys have not seen his car, it is really really nice!

OK, back on track here. Randy Forbes, thanks for sharing. You attention to detail and doing it right is quite impressive. Right on!
Cheers, Roger

Country flag
Roger, did you and Randy ever join the GGAHC? If so, let me know when you go on one of their rides. We come down frequently for them. They are often in your neighborhood. I'd love to see yur cars.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Randy, your work looks great. But I think I'm missing something. If the oil line connection block is bolted to the engine and the lines are routed to the oil cooler, where is your oil filter?
Dave C.

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
>>Roger, did you and Randy ever join the GGAHC? If so, let me know when you go on one of their rides. We come down frequently for them. They are often in your neighborhood. I'd love to see yur cars.<<

Yes. I've been a member of the Golden Gate club for 5 or 6 years. Roger hasn't joined yet, I think. For sure we'll hook up in the Spring when GGAHC actively tours again. However, neither Roger or I store the cars away. If you would like to come down to the Bay Area on a sunny winter weekend, we can arrange to meet up for a great Bay Area drive.
Cheers
Randy
'66 BJ8

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Randy, your work looks great. But I think I'm missing something. If the oil line connection block is bolted to the engine and the lines are routed to the oil cooler, where is your oil filter?
Dave C.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a remote mounted unit; bottom of filter is visible in the picture below:

IMG_5932a.jpg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Q. Where is your oil filter?
A. It's a remote mounted unit; bottom of filter is visible in the picture"
---------------------------
Now THAT I like--one of the things I don't like about the spin-on adaptor that I have on my Healeys is that the filter mounts sideways to the engine and (unless of course I tip the car on its right side) it is not possible to prefill the filter after an oil change without spilling lots of oil, whereas on the MG engine in my Elva the filter faces up and I can completely fill it with almost 1/2 quart before restarting, shortening that anxious time with zero psi's.

Your work looks great.

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Q. Where is your oil filter?
A. It's a remote mounted unit; bottom of filter is visible in the picture"
---------------------------
Now THAT I like--one of the things I don't like about the spin-on adaptor that I have on my Healeys is that the filter mounts sideways to the engine and (unless of course I tip the car on its right side) it is not possible to prefill the filter after an oil change without spilling lots of oil, whereas on the MG engine in my Elva the filter faces up and I can completely fill it with almost 1/2 quart before restarting, shortening that anxious time with zero psi's.

Your work looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Yes, those seconds waiting for the oil pressure gauge to spring forth seem like minutes!

Surprised that nobody has made mention of the starter; it's a real dream compared to the OEM unit.