• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weekend Projects, Part II

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My goal for the weekend was "aggravation reduction."

Aggravation #1 (this is where I burned my wrist): The stock windscreen washer jets, when coupled with a nice, powerful, modern electric washer pump, shoot way over the top of the windscreen. Nary a drop ON the windscreen -- it all winds up on the boot! One of the usual suspects on eBay recently offered a pair of aim-able washer jets -- $14.95, delivered. The worst part of the job, other than fouling my cigarette lighter and cooking my wrist, was removing the cubby box to get at the passenger side screen washer. They are a smaller diameter than the stock ones, but that was easily handled with a rubber grommet in the 5/16" hole in the scuttle. Install 'em. Aim 'em. Presto! Aggravation-be-gone!

Aggravation #2: A couple of years ago, I even started a thread on this one -- bonnet rattle. I HATE the shrieky squeak produced by the bonnet push-up rod at idle. Replacing one of the bolts that holds the spring/rod assembly with a rubber pad helps to calm the bonnet vibration, which reduces the screechy rattle from a gawd-awful racket to a mere aggravation. By the way, I have found that the easiest way to do this is to use one of the same little bolt-and-pad assemblies that hold the bonnet up at the edge. I finally got tired enough of this noise to take the spring assembly apart, drill out the two rod holes, and install two nylon snap-in bushings. I DO know why I waited so long to do this -- it's a royal pain-in-the-rear to reassemble this bugger and get it back on the car. I spent about five minutes searching the neighbor's back yard for one of the washers that are at each end of the spring. It was about 10 yards from where it got away from me. This is an ENTIRELY WORTHWHILE MOD! Blessed silence at idle. There's still a little bonnet rattling noise, but the spring squeal is GONE.

Two aggravations vanquished! But, those burns on my wrist are going to be sore for a few more days...

Attachments

• 22687.jpg
    22687.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 22688.jpg
    22688.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 305

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Nice bit of rigging Moses. I need to put that in my BCF tips file for later use.

Dick

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Moses- sounds like you have the rattles worked out. On a friends 3A in my local club, the prop rod added to the rattling, even with the rubber buffer. He solved it by padding the prop rod.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Another mod I've seen is adding rubber buffers to the back of the hood/bonnett.

But oddly enough, the project TR3 idles smoothly enough that the bonnet doesn't squeak. I wonder why? Maybe it's because those old motor mounts are softer than new ones?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did anyone notice that wear mark in Moses picture? There is an obvious ring about half way down the post. Mine doesn't have a mark on it aside from the rust pits. Maybe the difference is my hood has been up much longer, the engine has never been run or it's so smooth that it doesn't vibrate at all.

I'll be happy when I can work issues involving noise while using the car.

Some things are more appreciated when they go away. Enjoy your loss.

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TexasKnucklehead said:
Some things are more appreciated when they go away. Enjoy your loss.
:lol: Thanks!

Yes, there is a definite wear mark where the the rod <span style="text-decoration: underline">used to</span> rub on the top plate of the assembly. It's like fingernails on the chalkboard. I am SO glad I made it go away...

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mine rattles from the Dzus pins in the hood. I found this piece of plastic on my workbench:

IMG_1414.jpg

which fit perfectly between the pin and engine side of the hood. I have no idea where the piece of plastic came from or how it got on my bench, but it works perfectly: no more rattles (from the hood).

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
No grotesque infections, thanks...
I couldn't take a picture of the biggest burn, on the outside of my wrist -- and was unwilling to ask someone else to. "Yo! Dude! would you take picture of this sore on my my arm please?"

But, it's doing OK. I think I'll live.

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kevin --
What on earth kind of rule is that -- that identifies marks at "3" & "10" ??????

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Moseso said:
What on earth kind of rule is that -- that identifies marks at "3" & "10" ??????

Jeez, I'm hoping that's a 9, although it would explain a lot...