• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Axle Shock Link Help

John_W

Freshman Member
Hello Team,

I am in the middle of a BN1 restoration project (correction: beginning of a BN1 restoration project). I have stripped apart most of the rear axle casing and have new shock links ready to go. The issue I have is this: on one side the shock link fits nice and snug just like it's supposed to. On the other side the old shock link must have corroded a bit and wobbled around creating a slightly oversize and irregular shaped hole. Thus, the new shock link seems to wobble around a little because the mounting whole is not perfectly round and a little too large now. I could just torque the nut extra good but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I have two thoughts on this:

1) Fill the hole with a little weld and then try my best to drill a new new hole to the correct diameter;

2) Over drill the hole and insert a bushing of the correct size.

In both cases getting a drill aligned squarely with the hole will be nearly impossible. I can get it close but it will not be square.

I'm looking for some pearly words of wisdon here.

Thank you.

John

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi John,
Welcome aboard. Are you referring to the hole in the axle mount, or the hole in the shock arm?

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
I've used this method- Right/angle drill,variable bit or slightly smaller than bushing, for press fit & steel bushing. If its elongated, no amount of tightening, will keep it from moving,by rebushing & using loctite, rechecking after a good run, you should be okay. cheers Genos2

OP
J

John_W

Freshman Member
Howdy,

It's the hole in the axle mount.

Thanks.

JW

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:agree This is the way to do it!

:
Genos2 said:
I've used this method- Right/angle drill,variable bit or slightly smaller than bushing, for press fit & steel bushing. If its elongated, no amount of tightening, will keep it from moving,by rebushing & using loctite, rechecking after a good run, you should be okay. cheers Genos2

OP
J

John_W

Freshman Member
Excellent. Thanks for the input on this and I'm sure I'll be back for more advice on something else!

John

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
John, A few years back, I snapped the shock link mounting off the axle during some rather questionable and agressive driving. My best memory of this is that at the time my wife mentioned that we were sliding and I responded to her rather casual comment with a more pointed " I KNOW !". While pulling it down into second gear and accelerating out of the turn. ( I was chasing a Mini up an old hill climb road ). Anyway, it did turn out to be a difficult fix with everything in place ( just wanted to keep it on the road for the summer). So I just fabricated another half to the bracket and gobbed it up with alot of weld as I could reach it to hold it there. It lasted many years. I have finally gotten into the full restoration part of this ownership. Since it is a full restoration, I have pulled the axle housing completely from the car. Doesn't take that much more time and you may have metal work to do back there anyway. Take copious pictures to help with reinstallation. With the axle housing out you can fab up a good mounting braket.