• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rattles and Squeaks

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Now I've been driving the TR6 for a while, the initial euphoria is wearing off, and I'm starting to notice things that I need to fix.

The most noticeable of these is rattles and squeaks. I feel like I'm riding on an old sprint mattress! I have coil over Koni shocks all round, which were fitted by the PO, so it's a fairly modern system. What's the squeaking likely to be caused by: I'm pretty sure it's suspension-related? Do I just need to get trigger-happy with a grease gun?

Thanks!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Did you replace your front and rear control arm bushings yet?

How about the rubber pads under the springs front and rear?

Shock bushings on the front?

Steering rack bushings?

Engine front mounts?

Transmission mounts?

Exhaust system mounts in the rear?

Credit card ready? Dial 1-800-$$$-BIG3.

How do you feel about powder coating chassis components while they're apart?

OR.................

How about a $2.00 set of ear plugs?

T

Tinster

Julian!!

You have ridden in my car and heard all the rattles
and squeaks it makes. Those noises are AFTER a
bazillion $$$ spent to replace the entire suspension
front and rear, all rubber mounts engine, tranny and
body to frame and exhaust, doors, floors and every
visible bolt tightened.

Purchase the $2.00 ear plugs and be greatful your
car is a driver and not a breakdown model like mine.

later gator,

d

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Actually, the biggest thing that I did to quiet the car was to replace all of the weatherstiping, ESPECIALLY the hood (front and rear) and the doors.

That makes a huge difference. Did I mention the squeaky front hood weatherstrip that gets as hard as a rock (from radiator heat)and squeaks over every tiny bump from a fraction of hood movement???

G

Julian, is your center console brace properly bolted down. A lot of time the lower 4 bolts (2 on each side on the floor) will work loose or even get stripped. I had to re-tap mine and use larger bolts. This will cause the infamous scuttle shake.

G

Are your bushings poly? They tend to squeak more than either rubber or nylatron.

T

TRDejaVu

...or consider it part of the ambiance associated with driving a classic.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Taking these in turn:

Did you replace your front and rear control arm bushings yet?
-- I didn't, and will check them

How about the rubber pads under the springs front and rear?
-- will check

Shock bushings on the front?
-- will check

Steering rack bushings?
-- will check

Engine front mounts?
-- these are new

Transmission mounts?
-- new

Exhaust system mounts in the rear?
-- new

Weatherstripping -- all new all round (including front and back on bonnet). However, the cone bonnet rubber supports are not new - I do see the bonnet wobbling quite a bit.

Center console -- new bolts all round, very secure (in fact I worry about when I need to remove it if I'll be able to extract it!)

Poly bushings -- will check - I simply don't know, but these are new items I believe

Dale: I think my car is more rattley than yours, and certainly more squeaky!

I took my mother in law out for a drive this evening ... she was very impressed. It reminded her of the bright red MGA she had in her younger days (which she got rid of because it was so unreliable!)

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Have you put any sound insulation like poly-mastic or dynamat down on your floor boards, inside the door panels or firewall?

I've found that makes a big difference.

swift6

Yoda
Here is a tip that is super cheap, super easy and could yield some good results. Tighten every body bolt you can find. Inside the trunk, all along the front fenders (those exposed bolts when the bonnet is up). Tighten every body to frame fastner you can find. You might be suprised to find several bolts are not exactly snug anymore.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Coil over shocks tend to squeek if the spring rubs on the shock body. Usually there is a Nylon insulator sleeve between the shock body & the spring. If the sleeve is damaged or missing, the spring will squeek as it rubs on the shock body.

Just another thing to check.
D

hondo402000

Darth Vader
My windows use to rattle when I rolled them down all the way. I found that if your roll them back up just off the bottom stop they dont rattle, at least mind quit