• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radiator for Bugeye with 1275

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I got a 1275 for my bugeye, but the radiator from the 948 was really beat up - lots of ugly work, etc... and I want to replace it maybe with a nice aluminum radiator. I am worried about fitting one, and which one to choose.

Suggestions or advice welcome! Thanks!

Country flag
On ebay there are aluminum radiators that are made in china. There is a three row version. I have installed one in my car and one in another person's bugeye. They are a drill/file to fit application, but so far they have been working well. Mine cools my 1275 superchagered bugeye.

Country flag
No doubt, that wizard cooling radiator looks well made. It simply didn't fit in my budget at the time.
Do you have one in your car? Did it fit without issues?

Country flag
I do not know anything about the radiator that bugeye guy sells, but it looks very similar to my ebay special.

Country flag
BTW, bugeye guy claims that aluminum transfer heat better. Better than what? It is actually less efficient at conducting heat than copper. However, because of its strength the cores of aluminum radiators can be designed to cool more efficiently than many copper core radiators.

nomad

Yoda
Trevor, being in Louisville with a rad that will cool a supercharged engine is saying something! Is that at speed on the freeway? 100 degree's plus??

Kurt.

Country flag
Definitely keeps it cool at speed. Last weekend I ran between 70 and 75 mph in sunny 90 degree weather for about an hour and it never got above 185. Even at stop lights. the electric fan would kick in at 190 and the car would never reach 195.

Since installing the aluminum radiator the car has not hit 195. Even in stop and go traffic in 95 degree august weather. When the car had a reproduction "stock" radiator it would regularly hit 205 in similar conditions. Prior to that radiator I had a recored 3-row radiator that worked almost as well as the aluminum at speed, but suffered in stop/go traffic.

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The Serick Motor Sports unit is interesting, but at 365 pounds sterling plus shipping, why not go with the bugeye guy piece that looks very similar.

Country flag
Looking similar does not make the radiator perform similar. There are a multitude of different cores that could be used in these. The gauge of aluminum, the type of connection between the core and the tank, the tank design, the type of radiator cap, drain plug, temp fitting, and general quality control.

The Serick unit is obviously a bespoke item and no doubt they would stand behind their work. I'm guessing wizard cooling would also stand behind their work. An ebay special is just that and nothing more. I have no idea about "bugeye guy" radiator. If I had to guess I would say that he is selling the same radiator that you see on ebay that he has already drilled and filed to fit. But I'm just guessing.

OP
pbraun

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
This is a tough decision I need to make. Quality of construction is difficult to determine over the internet. Not all specs are called out for each radiator.

Country flag
This is the one I have used:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-R...ash=item4d5e9cd34b:g:4T8AAOSwR5dXRR2p&vxp=mtr

I think it was a bit cheaper when I purchased them. They look nice, but are no work of art. They do require drilling the mounting holes and possibly filing some edges and corners. The drain plug is plastic, but you could replace it with a stopcock.

I purchased it because I was low on funds and time. I was pleasantly surprised. Not craftsman quality, but certainly not a hack job either.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Yes, my Serick was a bespoke radiator as well it incorporated turbulators to in enhance its efficiency. I needed the core moved as far forward as possible in order for the 11" fan to clear the steering rack. As well I needed the temperature bung larger for the thermo fan switch to go. No fiddling was required, bolted right in and the quality of craftsmanship was a work of art!

P1030542.jpg

Country flag
BTW, It is possible to fit a 10" fan behind a stock radiator. It just needs be low profile.