• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Aluminium Radiator AUSTRALIA

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Does anyone know where I can purchase an aluminium radiator for a MGA 1500 here in Aus. I just got one from a crowd in Melbourne Ebay and the SOB mounting holes are a mile out.
It seems that all other Ebay radiators listed are the same mob of Chineese under different names.
The quality seems OK but the mounting hole positions cant be changed.
Any help would be apreciatyed

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wish I could be more certain of the MGA units but: I got a couple aluminum radiators for MGB's here in the States from Moss Motors and they fit well with no need of modification. They have one listed for the MGA but we've never fitted one.
Hope this helps somewhat:
MGA Radiator

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On the subject of aluminum radiators, how are those folks who are using them handing the concerns of galvanic erosion of metals that happens when you start combining almuminim with steel and brass and whatever with the coolant?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The unit itself is all aluminum, the only thing it's in contact with as a dissimilar metal are the bolts holding it to the frame. Otherwise it's the hoses. As for coolant, the major manufacturers have been making aluminum and plastic radiators for decades now. Only thing failing with those seems to be the seals between plastic and aluminum.

OP
Simmo

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Wish I could be more certain of the MGA units but: I got a couple aluminum radiators for MGB's here in the States from Moss Motors and they fit well with no need of modification. They have one listed for the MGA but we've never fitted one.
Hope this helps somewhat:
MGA Radiator
Thank you for your suggestion. I have now ordered one from Moss USA. Damm expensive when you pay for airfreight on top but hoping that it works OK. TYhe Chinese ones on eBay dont fit and the drama in returning them is worse than the Moss costs. Thanks again

MandoG

Freshman Member
Country flag
Does anyone know where I can purchase an aluminium radiator for a MGA 1500 here in Aus. I just got one from a crowd in Melbourne Ebay and the SOB mounting holes are a mile out.
It seems that all other Ebay radiators listed are the same mob of Chineese under different names.
The quality seems OK but the mounting hole positions cant be changed.
Any help would be apreciatyed
That company has 2x different radiators that they say are suitable for MGA. (although only one fits)
The crossflow unit has the mounting hole positions in the correct position (but doesn't look as nice as the other one where the holes are close together). (being crossflow it doesn't have a top tank)
The crossflow unit still needs to be 'made to fit'. i.e. remove the nipple on the steering rack and replace with a flat hex. Spacers will need to be used to make sure that the radiator is the correct distance from the fan etc as the mounting bracket fin is not in the same place as the original ie. it runs down the centre and the bonnet support hole needs to be opened up a bit.
Other than that it fits.
MandoG

MandoG

Freshman Member
Country flag
20210327_183140.jpg

Last edited:

MandoG

Freshman Member
Country flag
I found this Company to be very open to discussion on the phone and face to face. If what you bought is still in great condition, I'd be surprised if you can't come to some agreement ...

OP
Simmo

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I found this Company to be very open to discussion on the phone and face to face. If what you bought is still in great condition, I'd be surprised if you can't come to some agreement ...
Are you talking about Moss USA? If so I have ordered one of ther Rads Just waiting delivery. I hope the holes are in the correct position

MandoG

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Simmo
No, I was referring to Worley... the company in Hoppers Crossing. I expect the radiator that you have is not the crossflow one which 'can' fit (the picture I posted is the crossflow in my car). Even though you've ordered a Moss unit...it 'may' be worthwhile asking them to swap for a crossflow unit and have that as a spare? Worth giving them a call I would expect.

MandoG

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Simmo
No, I was referring to Worley... the company in Hoppers Crossing. I expect the radiator that you have is not the crossflow one which 'can' fit (the picture I posted is the crossflow in my car). Even though you've ordered a Moss unit...it 'may' be worthwhile asking them to swap for a crossflow unit and have that as a spzed up what I thought would are? Worth giving them a call I would expect.
Sorry I should have said ...even though you have ordered a Moss unit, it may be worthwhile contacting Worley to see if they will swap what you have for a crossflow unit as a spare rather than sinking the cost. As mentioned, the crossflow unit can be made to fit.
Otherwise what you received I suspect is for some A-Series powered car... just a guess.
Not sure where you live in Melb but of course we have our restrictions on travel distance ... prior to that I went to their warehouse to see what I was going to buy. As restrictions come off I guess the alternative is to go back to them. In any case its worth calling them. They seem reasonable. I sized up what I thought should fit, bought it and they said as long as no damage on checking, if it doesn't actually fit, they would take it back and refund. I suggest that you call them.

OP
Simmo

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Sorry I should have said ...even though you have ordered a Moss unit, it may be worthwhile contacting Worley to see if they will swap what you have for a crossflow unit as a spare rather than sinking the cost. As mentioned, the crossflow unit can be made to fit.
Otherwise what you received I suspect is for some A-Series powered car... just a guess.
Not sure where you live in Melb but of course we have our restrictions on travel distance ... prior to that I went to their warehouse to see what I was going to buy. As restrictions come off I guess the alternative is to go back to them. In any case its worth calling them. They seem reasonable. I sized up what I thought should fit, bought it and they said as long as no damage on checking, if it doesn't actually fit, they would take it back and refund. I suggest that you call them.
Thank you for all that info. I am in country NSW so I will wait for it to appear here and report back.

OP
Simmo

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ohh OK. If you need any help to try to return or replace the other one, let me know.
Stay safe
The Rad from Moss USA arrived today. The hole patterns fit and measurements are identical to the origional Copper one. It comes with a pressure testing certificate and seems very well manufactured. Certinaly made in China. AU$500 deliverd to my Post Office address. Many thanks for your concern and help, much apreciated.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Rad from Moss USA arrived today. The hole patterns fit and measurements are identical to the origional Copper one. It comes with a pressure testing certificate and seems very well manufactured. Certinaly made in China. AU$500 deliverd to my Post Office address. Many thanks for your concern and help, much apreciated.

Most excellent info, Simmo. As I said above, the MGB unit from Moss fit two different cars but we had not fitted one to an MGA yet. Pleased to learn the one for the A-Series is equally without difficulty.

Thank you for the follow up, it will help others with similar issue. And again, welcome to our forum! (y)