• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

PL 700 head lamps

Country flag
I saw some PL700 tripod head lights at a show this weekend. I think Roger has them too. The owner said he had halogens in them. Are halegens compatable with our Healeys without changing anything or is a generator needed? I could use a little more light at night. (You think, maybe?)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi TH, You probably could get away with the present Generator if you don't load the car with too much additional electrics.---Keoke

P.S. I just remembered the reason I first installed driving lights was, I was coming out of that place where you live at one oclock in the morning. The road was pitch black and I couldn't see BOO.!

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The halogens should be ok, the only thing is they pull more juice and may wear out the wiring/circuit over time.

If you are having light problems, I would try installing a headlight relay first as the problem may not be your bulbs but some resistance in the circuit itself. Get your standard 5-pin Bosch type relay and hook the juice line direct to the hot lead on the solenoid. Be sure to put an inline fuse on it.

You won't need to install an alternator if your gen is in good working order....

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
I saw some PL700 tripod head lights at a show this weekend. I think Roger has them too. The owner said he had halogens in them. Are halegens compatable with our Healeys without changing anything or is a generator needed? I could use a little more light at night. (You think, maybe?)

Hi Rich,

You think correctly, I do have PL700 with halogen bulbs.
You will need to put a relay in line, so as you don't fry the headlight switch (twice like me). <a href="https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/560661/1/Headlight_switch_fried" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
Here</a> is the link to my post about that.

I am using the stock wires and generator.
1. PL700 headlight
2. SilverStar 9003 halogen bulbs
3. Two relays, one for the high and low beam

The halogen bulbs make quite a bright improvement.
If you just want brighter headlights and want to keep the stock look, (not PL700) you should be able to replace the headlights with stock looking, but having a halogen replaceable bulb.

Hope this answers your question.
Roger

PS. Sunday I showed my car at the Pacific Coast Dream Machines in Half Moon Bay. One of the most entertaining shows I have been to. If you guys have not heard of this show, not only do they have great cars, but they have vintage warbirds. For $60 you can take a ride in a vintage plane or helicopter. Later in the afternoon, the war birds put on a wonderful dog fight. Yak 9, Zero, P51 Mustang, Lockheed T-33 Jet and many more....at the same time! Complete with smoke trailing from the rear of the Zero! Check out the link
here!

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Anyone have a wireing diagram as to where to put a relay? Do you put them under the dash or on the engine side of the firewall?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Anyone have a wireing diagram as to where to put a relay? Do you put them under the dash or on the engine side of the firewall?

Yep And you only need one relay.---Keoke.

AJAX50

Country flag
Halogen bulbs are not a higher wattage so don't draw any more current than a standard bulb. In the UK most bulbs are still 60/55 Watts, it's a legal maximum here. Halogen bulbs do run hotter so could be a problem with some light units. I've got higher wattage halogens with bigger wires and relays, no problem with a standard dynamo.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
AJAX50, you have plural on the relay. Roger has two. Keoke has one. Moss says not needed. I love a good, consise answer.

:grouphug: Hi TH, :laugh: If you want the most in reliability, the ability to easily revert back to originality and simplicity which supports these claims, then use a KISS circuit utilizing one relay.---Keoke

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
T.H.
A much less expensive alternative than 700 PL lamps ....
Go to any auto parts store and buy sealed beam halogen
replacement headlights. There are two types, regular halogen which are much brighter than stock and super bright. They are a direct replacement fit for stock. Mine are Sylvania and cost me about $ 10.00 each during a sale a few years ago.
I would add a headlight relay as was being discussed and also check/repair the ground at the headlight connector.
To add to your confusion of choices, I use two relays and have them mounted under the dash. I have a third relay for the driving lights. I really don't use the driving lights that much except to flash them in the daytime to " warn " a distracted driver not to pull out in front of me as I am about to cross an intersection. I am still running the original generator and have
very bright lights, driving lights, and a small 100 watt sub
wuffer amp. The generator can handel all of that if you clean up all of your grounds and use relays for your headlights. I also added a very thick wire from the starter solenoid to my light circuts in order to bypass the " weak link" in the factory lighting which is the brown wire from the bottom of the voltage regulator to the light switch.
Ed

AJAX50

Country flag
See the post by EdK, it's concise.
I concur with his view that it is important to use heavier wires, this considerably improves standard units.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HEY! TH, I just found the cats Meow for you an them PL head lamps. No wires ,no relays and very little cost. Go over to Pegasus Racing and buy a set of "Lucas PL 700 Tripod Headlamp Simulators " Part # 3610-002. En they swear they will look just like Rogers--Keoke-- :crazyeyes:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Keoke said:
HEY! TH, I just found the cats Meow for you an them PL head lamps. No wires ,no relays and very little cost. Go over to Pegasus Racing and buy a set of "Lucas PL 700 Tripod Headlamp Simulators " Part # 3610-002. En they swear they will look just like Rogers--Keoke-- :crazyeyes:

Don't do it TH. I think Keoke's vision is dimming like an old headlight.

1st photo of my PL700
2nd photo of Pegasus's attempt at a simulator of a P700, even thought they list it as a PL700.
3rd photo of a P700

Look at the PL700 in the center of my headlight. Now look at Pegasus's. Look at the glass pattern too.

I think Pegasus has the number wrong. Their's looks like a P700. But their glass pattern is wrong compared to a P700 too.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
----Look Pretty good to me. Especially if you are just after looks :laugh: