• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Okay so I went for it…

edh13

Freshman Member
I just bought a ’74 midget from a “friend” (that designation may yet change) for a $1000 and of course I am in need of much advise, figured this was a good place to start. First a little project overview and then I’ll get to my first of many questions. I’ll also post some pics next time, promise.
My goal: To avoid continuously dragging out my gas guzzling crew cab pickup I thought it would be a good idea to obtain a small, cheap, snappy piece of transportation for my very short trips to work, Starbucks, kids softball practice, Starbucks, other kids gymnastics, Starbucks, hobby shop, 5ea weekend trips to Home Depot, Starbucks x5, etc. Something that I would be able to enjoy the wide roads and great weather in Phoenix, the wind in my face, admiring looks from common folk, The answer… a motorcycle! But I couldn’t figure out how to get the pool chemicals and bags of fertilizer strapped to the bike? Let alone the coffee burning my crotch. So I went for the 1000 bean midget.
My Midget: Last ran in ’97 after spending 2 years and $1,100 (have the receipts) at a local garage getting the clutch and slave cylinder replaced. PO said the engine was running very poorly when he drove it home from the garage and deposited it in the back yard where it sat for 8 years. I found it under an inch of dust under a car cover with another inch of dirt. There was no visible rust, and no dents. It was impossible to tell the condition of the paint. And the top, although it had no holes I figured had to be dried out and would fall apart if I lowered it. The entire interior was there and looked okay. The seats were shot. The spoke wheels need sandblasted, found the spoke spare in the trunk but no jack or tools. The oil and radiator fluid looked new. I trailerd’ it home.
So Far: It cleaned up real well! The paint looks great from 10ft away but has some “hanger rash” here and there. The top is fine and looks great. Seats aren’t as bad as I thought but still need re-done. New rotor, cap, wires, plugs, oil change, fuel drain, fuel filter and lines and I got it started! Ran like crap – screwed with the carbs for 2 whole days – got disgusted – put a Weber 32/36 on it (gasp!) – runs like a Singer – got it thru emission testing first time! Anybody want to buy a set of SU’s?
Needed: The drive to the emission station was white knuckle all the way!! The front suspension is shot. There is a noticeable tow out. The shocks live up to their name, SHOCK. Every time you hit a small bump it changes lanes. And it starts an uncontrollable shimmy at about 35 but will go away if you’re brave enough to go 40.

First question: Is the tranny supposed to be this loud!? Sounds like a tractor…

Thanks, Eric

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dumb question first, is there oil in the transmision? It should be quiet, not silant but quiet. Is it rransmisson or prop shaft or rear end?

Second is there fluid in the shocks?

Third, check tie rod ends first. Lub ends and spindles and universal joints in prop shaft. Might as well check rear end lub while you are at it. A bit of lub for the water pump would not hurt either.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I agree, check your fluid levels in the tranny and the rear end. After that, you can ride around a bit and try to isolate the sound a little better. I've had semi-frozen universal joints sing so loudly that I thought my transmission was toast before. It is easier if you can get someone else to drive the car while you crawl around trying to find the location of the noise. Check the tie rod ends first but you might need to address the shocks before you can really do much about the shimmy. the shocks can be disconnected and checked to see if they are any good or not. I would recommend changing the oil in them as a good starting point. Most people find that this freshens older worn units to a point that their performance is acceptable again. Congradulations on your find. You may be cursing your "friend" now but after a while you will find that his trash has become your treasure.
JC

OP
E

edh13

Freshman Member
I did try and check the tranny oil at where I think the fill plug is - Above the speedo cable(?) Tight quarters, darkness and the lack of the proper wrench kept me from getting the plug out, but did allow me to break the plastic cable fitting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Goodnews is it's leaking oil now so I guess it wasn't dry. I'll try and salvage the shocks. I've heard people use anything from motor oil to 90 wieght in the shocks. Do I have to get the real stuff from Moss or is there a suitable substitute? Where do you add oil and how much? I suppose I'll have to work them quite a bit to get the air out. New tires and tie-rod ends are a must. The brakes seem fair, no gringing or pulsating. It does take a bit more pedal pressure than I thought. Is this normal? I'll try and attach some pics...

Thanks, Eric

Attachments

• 159026-MGsmall1.jpg
    159026-MGsmall1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 63
welcome aboard edh13! this is the Place to help you get that Midget up and running. there isnt anything this crew hasnt done on one of these cars.

Its easier to check the tranny fluid from inside the car, peel up the carpet on the tunnel, in the foot well and you shoud find a rubber plug that will give you access. Still need a flash lite and a funnel tho.

mark

OP
E

edh13

Freshman Member
Hey thats a good idea!!
Just tried to upload some pics to My Photo and it gave me an error. Said it doesn't recognize JPG's?? But I was able to attach a photo to the previous post and to this one...

Attachments

• 159044-MGsmall2.jpg
    159044-MGsmall2.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 84
Country flag
Looks like a nice car with potential. Do you want some advice on folding the top down, or have you figured it out since that photo was taken?

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Stock shock oil is 20 wt. 30 wt makes em stiffer, 90 wt makes em like rocks.
And you found the tranny fill plug under the rug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
1st gear in the trannys is noisy by nature, unschronized and straight cut, sort of like reverse in any other car but add 32 years of wear to it too. Also, use 20/50 motor oil in the tranny. The book says 30 wt but it was written before multi grade oils. do NOT use 90 wt gear lube in the tranny. It's fine in the diff.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Very Nice Car, brings back memories.

Enjoy!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
E

edh13

Freshman Member
Thanks for the tips. It will be this weekend before I can get back on it. The shocks don’t look like they have any kind of reservoir. I took the cap(?) off of one of the front ones and I didn’t see an oil “level”, just the innards. Do you just fill it to the brim?
It sounds like I didn’t get the memo on top folding. I just flop it back, one handed. Rookie…
Also, is there a graceful way of getting in and out of this thing? I’m kind of a big guy (5’11” 250+) and the neighbors are starting to shut off the lawn mowers and put down the hoses to watch me squeeze in and out. Great entertainment. And my darling kids are humming “doot doot-doodle doodle-doot doot doo doo…” under their breath. Bozo has had enough...

Thanks
Eric

Country flag
In the attached photo, the six tennax(sp?) fasteners where not unfastened.
1. undo the inside snaps and windscreen clasps
2. undo the velcro and three tennax fasteners on each side
3. pull the top back while pulling the material away from the frame and laying it on the trunk(boot)
4. fold the "wings" (side windows) up onto the top material
5. fold the top material back over the fram and tuck into the cockpit.

Someone else might do a better job explaining this.
I only mentioned it, because it took me a while to realize there is a better(neater) way to do the job.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You guys! Sit down in seat with feet on ground. Turn right leg on side with knee pointing in to car and under wheel, twist, double left leg and place in, close door.

Getting out is just the reverse. Hands on what ever to help you get weight over feet and up you go.

open door, slide right leg in and sit down, bring left leg in. Getting out , open door, put left leg on ground about even with the rear of door opening. guide body with right hand, easy with pulling on the windshield, stand up on left leg , bringing right out from under wheel Voila!..its it own little work out.

sounds ez anyway

mark

Morris

Yoda
Has anyone attempted to ease their egress by fitting his/her car with a smaller steering wheel? Does it work? My biggest problem getting out of the car is that my big fat leg gets caught under the wheel.

morris

dems real purtty...
so which one fits a midget, bolt pattern wise?

mark

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not a clue, call and find out. When you do let us know please.