• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Numbers on my TR3 block...

G

OK, now what do these numbers signify on the block of my TR3 engine?
number.jpg

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Every Standard-Triumph part has a part number - like when you re-order a part from say Roadster Factory who use the original factory part numbers. I assume the 301435 is the S-T part number for the casting of the block - before they did any machining on it. It's possible that the part number for the engine is different after it was machined as it would have to conform to a different blueprint. I guess that the P48 is the lot number and the name is the casting foundry.

The number that is most important is the engine number which is stamped into a raised boss on the block just to the rear of the distributor. The number stamped on the block should be about 400 numbers higher than the TS Commission Number on the VIN plate on the firewall just inside the RHS fender. The reason the engine number doesn;t match exactly is that S-T sold about 400 TR engines to Morgan in the early days.

OP
G

OK, Don.
Looks like the engine number is TS41516E, making it a late 1958 TR3. Would this be correct and what does the "E" signify?

Bill

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Bill - I'm going to take a guess and say that if your engine is the one that was in your TR3A when it left the factory, that your Comm. No. is close to TS 41116 L or if you have an overdrive it would be TS 41116 LO (the last "O" is for "overdrive". I would also guess that it was assembled about mid-December, 1958 to mid-January, 1959. A certificate from the Heritage Center in England would confirm all these details exactly. These are available at very reasonable price via TRA (Triumph Register of America). For details of this Factory Build Record, check on their website :- https://www.triumphregister.com/MembershipApplication.html

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Don -- not surprisingly -- has pretty much nailed it! According to information I have, the very first TR3(A) assembled in Calendar Year 1959 (in other words, on or after 1 January 1959, as opposed to any sort of "model year") was TS41630. That's just a bit more than 500 after Don's estimate, so somewhere in December 1958 is probably about right.

OP
G

Unfortunately, all that is left of the car is the engine and overdrive/tranny. Everything else is a true basketcase. The bonnet was kind enough to give up it's life to protect the engine. There are possibly a few salvageable parts, very few. My goal, over the next year, is to resurrect the engine to like-new condition, have the tranny rebuilt, and put it away till I find a car. Might even go with a Ratco frame and build either a TR3A or any one of the TR4's. I know this is verboten in some circles, but that plan can change depending on what pops up.

Bill