• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question for the numbers gurus

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So I have this matching numbers 62 Tricarb with original factory hardtop . Its a BT7 not the ultra rare BN7 .
It does have a sideshift gearbox . The later ones had the centreshift gearbox I presume ?
Does anyone know how many were produced with the sideshift and is a sideshift more desireable than the centre shift or vice versa ?

Pic of the plates attached for info .

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I'd say that matching numbers are more important to some folks than changing out the trans to a center shift. If it's not broke, don't change it.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'd say that matching numbers are more important to some folks than changing out the trans to a center shift. If it's not broke, don't change it.
I intend to keep the side shift ...If its broke it will get fixed .

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
I always thought the center shift was more desirable. Just my take. I have a side shift tranny on my BN7.

John

D

Duane_Rhynard

Healey Nut,

The tri-carb cars started with car number 13751 (March '61) the BT7 cars were side shift until car 15881 (November '62) when the center shift was introduced. The last tri-carb center shift BT7 car was number 19853 (June '62)

I have tri-carb BT7 14391 (German Export), somewhat close to yours. I like the unique shift lever!!

Thanks,
Duane

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Healey Nut,

The tri-carb cars started with car number 13751 (March '61) the BT7 cars were side shift until car 15881 (November '62) when the center shift was introduced. The last tri-carb center shift BT7 car was number 19853 (June '62)

I have tri-carb BT7 14391 (German Export), somewhat close to yours. I like the unique shift lever!!

Thanks,
Duane

I have never driven a side shift car . My 67 and 64 are both centre shift . Any tips for me re the driveability ?

D

Duane_Rhynard

I have never driven a side shift car . My 67 and 64 are both centre shift . Any tips for me re the driveability ?

Healey Nut,

In my experience you just need to shift a little slower on the side shifts, it is the only "issue" I've encountered, although I only have about 20 hours on a center shift, since my '58 BN6 is also side shift.

Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences!

Thanks,
Duane

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have no experience with center shift, 32 years with side-shift. Shift slowly, especially into 3rd. Never shift directly into 1st from neutral -- go to 2nd first to avoid grinding gears. Skip 1st (start in 2nd) on level ground.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I have no experience with center shift, 32 years with side-shift. Shift slowly, especially into 3rd. Never shift directly into 1st from neutral -- go to 2nd first to avoid grinding gears. Skip 1st (start in 2nd) on level ground.

Yes I agree. I don't think first gear is synchronized like the other gears so being completely stopped is a must or putting it in first will result in some grinding.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Centre shift is the same if you are sitting at a light and want to hit first chances are it will grind but if you slip it into 2nd then straight into first its smooth as silk . Must be a Healey thing ?

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Centre shift is the same if you are sitting at a light and want to hit first chances are it will grind but if you slip it into 2nd then straight into first its smooth as silk . Must be a Healey thing ?
Actually, all transmissions without a syncromesh 1st gear do the same -- early MGB's, Triumph's, etc. But Healey's have enough torque and gearing to start in 2nd on level ground.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I find that some times getting into first straight away will not work so I always go into second then up to first.

I have driven both side and centre shift in my time and I find that moving around the box is pretty much the same in both systems as far as speed goes - you have to take it easy with both.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Does anyone know how many Tri-Carbs with side shift were produced as opposed to centre shift ?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Another note on the 1st gear issue - it is square cut like reverse so don't try to force it in or you'll grind it for sure. Move forward a bit in 2nd and then you will probably be able to smoothly get into 1st or for that fact reverse. Like others have said, I almost always start off in 2nd