• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Nice 4A on Ebay

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Really nice resto (but the radiator shroud is missing).

Proves the old adage "You can make a small fortune restoring TRs...".

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Agreed, nice looking car.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yup, done very nicely. I hope the seller gets all $68k back. Only takes one buyer who wants the marque. No reason high end restored TR's shouldn't bring Healey money

HerronScott

Darth Vader
$68,000 and they skimp on the fan shroud? :wink:

Nice looking car!

Scott

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
"only takes one buyer" actually with an auction it takes two.

But that is an interesting thought, I have generally thought for non dealers that an auction style sale with large exposure is the best way to get a good price, but for that to work you need at least two interested parties, a regular sale you only need to find one who really really wants it.

That is a nice looking 4A, I love that color, thought of changing the 250, but stayed with the original signal red.

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
I love that color on that car and the pictures are really good but I agree that with all that money they should have put the fan shroud on. I also noticed that the caps are different on the brake and clutch masters. Easy fixes but with that kind of money I would think everything would be perfect.

Beautiful car that I am sure someone will really enjoy.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Very nice indeed. 68 grand? Why would anyone spend that much dough on a car like this? I like it though and am eager to see what it brings. Kevin

Willie_P

Jedi Hopeful
why are certain posters here speculating the desired sale price is $68K? For all we know the reserve is $30k and it gets bid-up to $35k or something and sells.

As Keith Martin would say, the buyer (in this case, half price) paid for the restoration and got the car for free!

However, there was that tr4 that went for $99,000 at Scottsdale back in '07 (or '06, cannot remember).

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Willie_P said:
why are certain posters here speculating the desired sale price is $68K? ....

I never said his desired price was $68k, only that I hoped he got his $68k in receipts back out of it. Realistically though, I doubt he will.

But if you talk to any of the high end specialty Triumph resto shops who do ground up jobs starting from scratch and charge out their shop rate a $75-100/per hour, plus all new parts, you would be surprised to learn there are lots of $50-75k Triumphs out there. Figure a full on restoration will be 1000 hours give or take. Do the math.

In general that whole world of vintage car auctions - places like RM, Barrett etc, never ceases to amaze me what some people are willing to pay for an old car. So, what do I know? Maybe a $68k very well restored TR4 is cheap.

glemon said:
"only takes one buyer" actually with an auction it takes two....

Don't know if I agree with that. When someone is planning on spending that kind of dough for the exact car he was looking for, I suspect there are a lot of phone calls discussions and deals being held outside of eBay. In that case don't be surprised if the listing suddenly becomes "no longer available".

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Nice car, and now a nitpicky techy question for the 4A guys - the overdrive stalk on this car is on the right, behind the light stalk. I was thinking it should be on the left, behind the indicator. Am I wrong about that?

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
The 4A I bought had the od stalk on the right. Wonder why this one has the od stalk but no od transmission. Also, the exhaust system is not correct.

OP
sail

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Your right Randy. S/B on left toward dash. You don't see the hood frame the correct color often. The dual exhaust looks cool but I'm glad I simplified with a single. I'm surprised it's this high, seems like cars are not going for all that much lately. A while ago there was one similar that sold for $22 or so. Hard to tell what actually happens on EBay sales, individual deals or better yet a couple guys with too much money bidding. Fun to watch.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'm confused on the OD switch discussion! As someone pointed out, the car doesn't have an OD gearbox, nor does it have the final "O" in the commission number to indicate that it might have had one. Meawhile, as to OD switch location, the TR4 had the OD switch on the RH side of the column on LH steering cars; there was no column lighting switch on the TR4. On the TR4A, the OD switch was always on the same escutcheon as the "trafficator" switch, so it would've been on the LH side of the column for a LH steering car.

But just to nitpick a bit further, all the money obviously spent on this car...and they couldn't find an afternoon to strip and refinish the dash wood? :smile:

OP
sail

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Oh I see now what looks at a glance like an OD switch in a couple of shots is the speedo needle. This car probably won't drive far enough to need it anyway. The early 4A's did have the dual exhaust like this.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

Well; Its just shy of $30K and 2-1/2days to go & Reserve "NOT" met yet. If the "Seller" thinks he`s going to re-coup his $68K in Restoration costs; I think He/She is dreaming. Anyone typ. knows that if you do a "Pebble Beach, Barrett-Jackson" type of Restoration; You`re probably going to loose $$$ pending the Model being sold. There`s a Restoration house in NW NJ (I forget the name) but I toured that place when I had my `57XK140 Rdstr. There was a "VW Bug Coupe" in there that was the Orig. Car to the Orig. Owner. He had over $60K into that car!! Would he ever re-coupe that? Probably not but he must have had an "Open Check Book" and simply wanted his car back to "Brand New" as the day he bought it.

I think I`m going to go and add up all my receipts for my `57TR3 Small Mouth & see where I`m at to date. Maybe not cause that could "Scary"!!!!!!!!!

My $.02 as thats all I could afford.

Have Fun Watching,

Russ