• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Midget in snow?

cl_miata

I'm sorta playing with the idea of driving my midget this winter, is there anyone else that does this? how well does it do in the snow? I drive my miata in the snow, so I don't know if the midget would be better or worse.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I drove my Bugeye in the snow 2 winters ago and it was horrible. The tires were summer only, so that didn't help....maybe if I had some dedicated snow tires it wouldn't have been so bad.

I say give it a shot when there's just a few inches on the ground and see how your Midget does....if it's slippery with 2" of snow then it will be a nightmare when the real stuff flies.

Oh yeah....I also drove it while it was still snowing and the snow was so heavy and wet that my wipers quit working.....they literally got stuck in the snow that accumualted on the windshield. I had to cut across 3 lanes of traffic blind to get to the shoulder so I could clear it off!! That was the most scared I have ever been in any car....I thought I was going to get hit or hit someone myself.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
I would be worried about an SUV slamming into me more than the Midget getting around. I drive my sprite as if I'm a motorcycle in traffic the thought of adding Ice and snow in to the mix is just to much for me. Get a winter beater and save the Midget and yourself.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They're "out there" winter or summer, Chris. When we lived "up there" in the northeast I drove whichever LBC or eye-tie car was running, regardless of weather. Found the MGB to be the real goat of the bunch.
My biggest concern was/is the rot causing road conditions, not dodging the inept. They're a "constant" in the equation. :wink:

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy said:
They're "out there" winter or summer, Chris. When we lived "up there" in the northeast I drove whichever LBC or eye-tie car was running, regardless of weather. Found the MGB to be the real goat of the bunch.
My biggest concern was/is the rot causing road conditions, not dodging the inept. They're a "constant" in the equation. :wink:
o
Doc I lived in North Dakota for many years in the 70-80"s
I know the dangers and results of winter salted roads cars.
Frozen wheel ruts throwing cars on a new trajectory not fun.
Black ice at an intersedtion is always an eye opener on your way to work. Making it to work with out getting hit only to find when you open your door you have peeled the frozen weather strip off the bottom sill of the door. Runnning out of washer fulid on a salty day. Dragging sand salt in to your car to grind off the fibers in your floor mat's frozen door locks. Getting out of your car turning around an look at your car and noticing its the same color as everybody elses car in the lot 2 tone Salt crust white and sluge brown.
When you finally get home you drive in to your garage the floor is like a gravel pit and salt mine. Now I remember why I moved to Texas!!!! 4 seasons.... yuk

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I used to drive a Sprite year-round when I lived in Pittsburgh. I say there's no question they can do it. However, it's a lot more comfortable with a hardtop, I highly recommend one for use during winter driving. The comments about the windshield wipers and visibility are right, it's a big issue. I've seen pictures of rally cars using some kind of heater bar mounted in the flat area between the windshield and the top of the dash. You might want to try to find one of those, the defrost capabiities of a standard spridget are pretty lousy.

Country flag
Drove my first two Bugeyes winter and summer for years in PA. Sometimes there are issues, but it's the same with any car, just exagerated with spridgets. My old rule of thumb - if the snows higher than the frame, don't go..... :yesnod:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
one thought however, back in the day there would have been other cars on the road with similar wheelbases, not so much now which means that you will not likely be able to get both sides of the car in the ruts which can make for a very uncomfortable ride.

RickB

Yoda
I drove Frank last winter, it was a bit dicey sometimes and there were days I just called in and said I would work from home. (like the day I woke up to 3 feet of new snow) Most of those days my boss had basically done the same thing so it wasn't an issue.
Having a hard top and a good working heater made a big difference.

tomshobby

Yoda
In the 60's and early 70's my LBC's were my one and only's. I actually drove my GT6 with tire chains. Don't recommend it though, the rear tires are pretty close to the front of the wheel well and the chains tend to make more room in that location.

bugimike

Yoda
TheMidget69 said:
Snow + Midget = FUN!

Good tires, brakes, rally style driving and you'll be good to go and yes a hard top is a huge plus.

:iagree: I drove my first BE year-round in Bradford, Pa., just south of Buffalo, N.Y.! No top, just a tonneau and bundled up (of course I was 19 at the time
grin.gif
!)...if you aren't a great driver to begin with, winter driving in a Spridget will make you one! If you live in the snow-belt, you know that a set of snow tires is mandatory anyway, right? :wink:

snow tires front and Rear!

OP
C

cl_miata

Alright, well I have to get a set of snow tires for the miata this year, dont think I will be dishing out another $200 or so for snow tires for the midget, I still need to find good regular tires! (any ideas? I wanted to get Dunlops say a 155/60/13, but it doesnt appear there are any, but the UK site shows them being available) any ideas for regular tires? (I have spokes)

G

I can't see how you guys would do that to your poor little cars.

Salt?!?!?!?!?!? You've gotta be kidding me !!!!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Snow is like rain, correct? Nasty stuff.

I also ran one in MI in the snow one year, bad idea.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Yeah, I'm sitting here in Michigan dreading what's coming and trying to imagine running a Midget daily here. Can't see it happening.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The salt will eat it up in one winter, ask me how I know.