• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG2010 report

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well folks first real road trip for Ms Triss. managed to do a days worth of work in 4 hours so I could leave yesterday. First I took my beloved out to lunch. Went in her office, chatted and ran an errand or two and when we came out 15 minutes later there was a puddle of rad fluid under the car. cr*p. Tried to figure out what it was, finally went to lunch, picked up coolant on the way back, opened the top of the coolant system and it was full, overflow tank was down, so, topped it up and hit the road. Decided to just take the highway (401) and even though the first 10 miles or so were very heavy (Friday afternoon + escaping the g20) after that it was 70-75 miles an hour all the way down to Belleville (1 1/2 hours) She ran flawlessly except started bucking the last 10 miles or so.

By the way, that stretch of Highway 401 is designated the "Highway of Heros" When a soldier dies in Afghanistan, the body is flown to Trenton and then taken by motorcade to Toronto for the autopsy. The time this happens is known so people and firetrucks and veterans and you name it, line the bridges along the route with signs and flags. Realized this was happening as I drove along and did get to see the motorcade - 3 cruisers, the hearse and probably 9 limos go by in the other direction. Very moving. We've seen it before but it's still something you don't forget.

Anyway, pulled into town, pulled into the bookstore to get a giftcard for my nephew's birthday and she almost wouldn't start when I got back in. In fact did even stall. Drove immediately to a friends house (who I knew had tools if mine weren't enough). Interestingly, by the time I got there, the problem was mostly gone. Pulled a couple of plugs and they were a little black, so, leaned up the carb half a flat and that was the last I needed to worry. Went to my brothers (overlooking the Bay of Quinte) had a lovely supper and a cold one and then went for a short sail. Lost the wind, motored back and dropped by another friend whose two young boys went berzerk getting their first ride in a convertible (the younger, by the time we had gone a block proclaims "when I am older I'm going to build one just like this and it's going to be blue and orange. (future gator fan? nah!)Let my brother drive home which meant HE had to go by one of his friends, pretend it was his car and take more folk for rides. Another cold one and off to bed.

This morning a very grey sky. got up, took the nieces for their drives and then my nephew and I took off the show. (Brother and family followed in minivan) Some very pretty cars. I think at least 100 maybe more. About 8 Midgets (hopefully pictures later) about 5 A's, 2 Magnettes, 2 TFs, one MGF and the usual assortment of everything else. Concourse cars were very nice! One thing that was neat was the 12 or so black limited edition (final cars I think) all in a row. There were many conversions including a flamed out LT1 conversion which still has me wondering why? (but I digress) It was a lovely morning on the edge of the Bay of Quinte till it started to rain.

At this point I decided to head home - had the top up already and took a secondary highway (highway 2) for the first hour or so. Discovered that there is a drip on my leg and a drip in about the same spot on the passenger side. However, nothing from the top rail and the top doesn't leak. (doesn't fit perfectly but still remarkably watertight.) I stopped for lunch - Chinese buffet, which was a hoot because literally every staff member, one at a time, had to go look through the window at the car and then come talk about it.

Anyway, finished lunch and decided to pick up the highway again. Turns out the drip diminishes at speed - I need to figure that out, but, about 10 minutes up the highway it started teeming rain! This was heavy enough that people were pulling over and/or driving with flashers on. Ms Triss did not miss a beat! She pulled strong, no engine hesitation, yes the drip but that I'll put up with for reliability. No hydroplaning, it was great!

The rest was pretty uneventful, home safe and sound, about 300 miles round trip and I am very pleased. By the way, not a drop of coolant spilled after that initial, so I still don't know what was up with that!

it burped- my clutch does that too. Just the way British cars are. It got ya there and it got ya home. Good enough!

m

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
Wow only 100 cars at MG2010, I think they were 600 at MG2006, and maybe 400 at MG2008.

Hap, I may be way off that number but I didn't see 400 that's for sure

Yeah I heard the weather was iffy, that probably hurt the number as locals probably stayed at home.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
Yeah I heard the weather was iffy, that probably hurt the number as locals probably stayed at home.

it was, that and crossing an international border, the need for Passports itself was likely a deterrent.