• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Progress Report '66 Rebuild..

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Just thought I would posat a few pictures of the progress on my Wife's 1966 MGB...

The engine is pretty much finished as is the tranny and carbs... I will be leaving
the engine on the stand until I am done with the engine compartment...

Engine%20small%202.jpg

I am already suffering from ' JUST AS WELL...' with a rebuild of the heater and, likely,
a new wire harness... and brake/clutch master rebuilds...ad infinitum. :smirk:

compartment%20small.jpg

And finally

<span style="font-weight: bold">QUICK... CALL 911... I am stuck under here!!</span>

Photo0221.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gettin' there - you gonna strip & repaint the engine compartment before the new engine goes in?

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Yep... I have already rebuilt the chassis - front and back...

I will not undertake a full teardown of the car to produce a show version since this is a driver... but, I am now into it far enough that the major subassemblies will be replace or repaired... Once the engine compartment is stripped down, I will paint it the body color using the PPG paint system. I will be rebuilding and painting the master assembly, heater core assembly, and probably replace the wiring harness... In removing the heater core I have half-way disassembled the dash so that will be removed and rebuilt/painted...

The last projects will be the body/paint and interior... Hopefully before the second coming... :smirk:

In summary... I am moving from the inside out and the front to the back....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nothing wrong with that plan!

19_again

Jedi Warrior
A sign of a true addict is one who happens to walk by the "project" in his white shorts and figures I've got a few free minutes, maybe I'll just check and see if that frammis is any looser today. LOL
I don't feel so alone any more!!

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
19_again,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]true addict is one who happens to walk by the "project" in his white shorts [/QUOTE]

Drives my wife nuts... I had a new pair of white shorts on and decided I had a few minutes to pressure wash the engine compartment.. So much for those shorts.... :wall:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I don't feel so alone any more!! [/QUOTE]

Nor do I, Thank you for the support :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Somehow I ~used to~ be able to stay clean while doing things on the cars. Now I'm like PigPen. 'smits admonishes me constantly about changing clothes before touching cars...

...and WHAT were you doing with yer feet all over those SEATS, man?!?! I'd fire you in an eyeblink if ya were in MY shop! :jester:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, what color's the engine compartment gonna be painted?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I vote for ALL THREE colors again. :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That looks sooo familiar... I've tossed these out before, but as some incentive for ya:

Attachments

• 12529.jpg
    12529.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 284

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Final, done with engine in-situ... was a REAL pain inna butt, too:

Attachments

• 12530.jpg
    12530.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 291
OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Doc,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]WHAT were you doing with yer feet all over those SEATS, man?!?! [/QUOTE]

The seats are just so much wasted vinyl.... This is why I ALWAYS do the interior last!! :smirk:

Sepaking of wives... Before I gave it to her, the B was refered, by her, as 'that piece of junk..'

Now it is ..'when is MY car (as in her's) going to be finished'??? Although she still complains about the mess in the garage....

And Tony, The engine compartment will be painted Iris Blue as will the rest of the car.... accoutrements will be gloss or satin black, or left bare, as was original...

To be completely anal about it... I am always disappointed when I see a great looking restored car only to find the engine compartment painted either black or some other color other than the rest of the car... with the engine painted Chevy Orange... :rolleyes:

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Doc,

Wow, that looks great.... :thumbsup:

A goal to which I aspire...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ah, I remember - this is gonna be the Iris Blue car...I'll want photos!

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Me too.. I want photos... wait a minute... I gotta do the work first... DARN..... :jester:

I will maintain a pictorial account and post when available... :thumbsup:

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Doc,

I need to ask... was the repaint of the engine compartment done at the same time as the rest of the car or did you proceed in a like fashion to my plan???

Thanks...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I did the whole thing as a "panel job". One section at a time, OUTDOORS. The bay was done as one "section". I did remove hood, bootlid, doors to do them, jambs were shot to all match the GALLON batch of O.E.W. I got. Likely took me twice as long to do it that way but I've no place to pull it all down and do a "proper" job of it.

Besides, it's a ~driver~, not some pillow sow. :smirk:

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Doc,

Thanks for the reply..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]done with engine in-situ... [/QUOTE]

Just to clarify.. you painted the compartment with the engine still in or after you yanked it out??

If you had left the engine in and painted I am amazed at what a good job you did.... I am intimidated by the job with the engine out!!

Thanks...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
See, I find it easier with everything out of the engine compartment.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ron said:
Just to clarify.. you painted the compartment with the engine still in or after you yanked it out??

Engine stayed in. All wiring and plumbing were moved out of the way and masked. The engine was covered with plastic. Then all lines were individually painted with the panels masked. Rewrapped the harness, put all back into place then masked THAT and sprayed the engine. Did the valve cover with crinkle black as a lark.

Again: This is NOT a full resto... just a refresh. When the clutch or gearbox have to come out I'll get picky over the parts I couldn't easily get to under there.

Tony said:
See, I find it easier with everything out of the engine compartment.

Absolutely agree, Tony. But as I said, I've VERY limited storage and had no choice but to do it outdoors. It's a cheat! :smirk: