• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Progress report #2 on white TR6

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
What a bummer day. I had bid and won a trunk lid on ebay. I warned the owner to package it and to make sure the corners were well protected. It arrived tonight and UPS had dropped it on the left corner and rolled it over. This is the second one. This was a much nicer trunk lid than the previous in regards to any rust. Just makes me sick. Photo's here. https://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/Norton47/Trunk%20lid%202/
I took the first to a body shop but the diagnosis was not good as this is an area of 2 layers of sheet metal. Pricey to fix and make right.
Unless someone knows an easy way to fix this is going to the UPS scrap heap.

I did get another coat of finish on the dash. The skivvies are for wiping off the excess finish. Not trying to show any dirty laundry here! LOL. Things you don't see when you take the shot.
I started putting things back into the engine bay.
I spent time today prepping and painting black parts for the engine bay.
Heres some photos:
P1010002.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Still more to do, but coming along nicely.

Bugeye58

Yoda
OUCH!! That sucks.
I hope you made UPS aware of it, and told them what a new replacement is going to cost them!
A good reason to open suspect packages in the presence of the driver, if possible.
Jeff

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Jeff
Unfortunately the driver got away. Last time the way it worked was the sender had to file a claim. UPS picked up the damaged goods and then made a determination to pay the sender. The sender refunded me my money. UPS then destroys the parts. I was told there was no way to get a claim and keep the part. So I let it go. If anyone knows a way to get payment for a replacement part or a different way to work this please let me know!
Thanks

Bugeye58

Yoda
I'm not familiar with just how their claims system works, so I can't help there.
One thing I forgot to mention was the fact that your dash looks absolutely stunning!!
Jeff

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Jeff
Thanks. DNK turned me on to a local veneer establishment called Edensaw. This was a piece of cherry veneer on their surplus rack. Cost $3.50. I bought two. The first I tried to glue on using Titebond III glue and it set to fast and I used lead bricks to press it down with. I had a couple of areas that did not glue and it lifted.
So for the second go, I invested in some melamine sheet from Home depots scrap rack and cut that down to be just bigger than the dash. I also got this vacuum bag, that was developed for laminating skate boards. Uses a hand vacuum pump. I used Titebond II, which has a longer working time and it came out sweet. Oh, I also used a product that you spray on to soften the veneer. It has to dry between the platens but it makes it much less likely to split. This cherry seems prone to that.
I found most of the info here, https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/veneering-tips.htm
vacuum bag here, https://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5200
A photo of the platen made from the melamine board.
VaccuumBagandveneer.jpg

The grooves are saw cuts to let the air out easily.
Thanks again for the compliment.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Leave it to UPS to manage to mangle almost everything they handle! I had once sent a set of blue prints in a heavy wall mailing tube that was 4 feet long. When the recipient got it there was only 18 inches of it left. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
That dash looks fabulous!

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Glad you explained about those skivies. I thought
you were on the verge of being banned for inappropriate
content.

Kidding aside, the dash does look good. It's light-colored;
almost like Ash.

Your wiper motor is looking pretty clean as well. What
did you do to it? Did it involve ordering and replacing
parts?

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
2Wrench
Just elbow grease, scotch brite, degreaser and Hammertone silver from Ace Hardware. The clamp is done with a Dupli-color product called Metalcast silver base. Seemed to match the underside of the clamp quite well as it was not weathered.
I used it on the gearbox lid. The gearbox pot metal case I just cleaned with degreaser and a toothbrush.
FWIW

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Nice job on the dash, If I didnt know better I would think that was my dash, I painted the back side of mine black too. Too bad about the trunk