• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Konig 15X7 wheels on TR6 - No mod fit?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Will the 15X7 Konig Rewind fit the TR6 without any grinding or suspension mods? I thought that I had read conflicting tales about these fitting with or without any needed help.

If they do fit, mod free, then what tire will fit without rubbing.

This is based on a NON lowered, stock suspended car.

Thanks, :savewave:

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've heard that 205/65-15 or 205/70-15 fit just fine on a 15x7. However, since the car isn't lowered, I think it would look a little funny with the 65 series tires.

-s

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I was afraid of that roller skate look.

I thought that the Goodyear guy told me that they didn't like the 205/70/15 on 7" wheels. I better look into that as mine are only a year old and could be used on these.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Yes, they said that 5.0 to 6.5 was fine, but 7.0 was stretching it. Literally, I suppose.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OK, so much for the tires, how about the Konig 15X7 wheel fitting on the car without any mods?

swift6

Yoda
I think they still can have an interference problem with the upper suspension. It would depend upon the backspacing. If the backspacing is the same as a Panasport especially. In other words, you might not know until you fit them. Sorry.

The 7 inch wheel should still work with the 205's. It should give it a very solid shoulder. I recall an article in Grassroots Motorsports by one of the tire gurus at The Tire Rack where they got into matching tire width and wheel width. It was stated that for a performance tire and optimum handling, the wheel would 85%-90% of the tire width. I believe that a 7" wheel is about 85% the width of a 205 tire. From what The Tire Rack guru was stating, the wider wheel, giving the broader shoulder of support to the tire, would actually stiffen the sidewall to increase transient response in handling. Many modern performance sports cars use wheel width and tire width combinations in this range while the sports sedans drop back to roughly the 80th percentile.

FWIW, 5.5" stock wheels are roughly 67% of the 205 tire. The angle that puts on the sidewall leads to more flexing, even with a stiff sidewall tire.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I think that I just found the answer on another forum. One of the upper bolts may need to be switched around, but no other mods are needed.

And the Konig distributor recommends/installs 205/70/15 tires for the seven (7") inch wheels.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Paul, although my car is apart, I got the Konig 15 X 7s for mine as well, heck of a deal at discount tires direct, free mounting balancing and shipping and $100 off when bought with tires.

Anyhoo, I read the same thing, that they will fit after swapping aroind one of the front suspension bolts.

Also heard some of the rear tube shock conversions may interfere.

I also ordered 205/65s, it seemed like a nice compromise between and low profile high performance tire and the higher profile stock tires.

Tire size calculator says it is about an inch smaller in diameter than a 185/80 series, but that is only half in inch in ride height, so I figured would be OK.

I am trying to figure out how to buy or make some cool Triumph center caps for the things.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Glemon,

How about just putting the stock red TR6 logo from the original center caps on those Konig center caps? I think that they're the same size and readily available from TRF. I saw these on a car on another forum or at a show.

Thanks for the tip on Discount Tires.

Can you give me the part number that you ordered, as well as the lug #'s?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Here is a link to the wheels:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/wheels/konig/size/viewProductDetail.do?pc=45471

If it doesn't work search by manufacturer and then size 15 X 7 4 X 114.3mm bolt pattern, these are zero offset.

They have a darker finish version as well:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/wheels/konig/size/viewProductDetail.do?pc=45470

I got the Falken Ziex ZX 912 tires in a 205 65 15"

I think if you go with a 16 X 7 wheel you lose the interference problem with the front suspension. Looks like you can get the Koenig Rewind in that size as well, you would have to go lower profile on the tires though.

I don't know if they have the free shipping or $100 off for wheel and tire sets going on any more, looks like they still have free mount and balance though.

On the TR-6 center caps, do they say "TR6" on them, I want "Triumph" or the shield or something for my TR250

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Did you have to tell them that they were for the TR6?

I think that the wheel nuts are 7/16" X 20. Is that what you ordered?

Thanks again!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I skipped the wheel install kit which was $45 bucks and they didn't have a listing for a TR250/6 anyway, they suggested calling and talking to one of their people, but I just got some chrome lugs at the local NAPA, I have since seen similar at other chain parts shops as well, I believe the 7/16" X 20 is correct, but I will have to go home and check, I can get you the NAPA number two as mine are still in their packages (but I did try them and they fit).

Greg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
NAPA Part #735-2145 Chrome Acorn Nuts 7/16"

Since buying them I have seen similar at other chain auto parts shops, Autozone, Advance, etc.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks for all of the info Glemon.

I'm now thinking about the 16"X7" Silver Rewind with 205/65/16 Falken Ziex 912 tires. The Miata tire size calculator has this size at the following:

Original 185/80/15 vs. 205/65/16

Sidewall 5.5" Sidewall 5.2"
Radius 13.0" Radius 13.2
Diameter 25.9" Diameter 26.5"
Circumference 81.4" Circumference 83.2"
Revs / Mile 778 Revs / Mile 761
Speedometer error 2.2% slow, when traveling at 60mph on speedo, actual speed will be 61.3mph

I think that if I go that route, I will still fill the wheel wells without rubbing and the 16" wheels will clear the suspension problems.

Any thoughts on that setup?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My only thought is maybe that is what I should have done, size comparisons look good for the tire sizes, I have a friend who is running 16s on his TR6 no problems.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Glemon,

I went with the 16"X7" Silver Rewind and the Falken 205/60/16 H speed tires. Matt, the sales rep asked about my driving habits and felt that the V rating was overkill and a lot harsher ride, so I followed his advice.

Those guys at Discount Tire are GREAT to deal with. I did get the online $100 off even though I called with questions and they took my order via phone and they don't bill until they ship. To save a lot of freight, I'll be waiting about a week for the wheels to come from Konig to Ohio, then to me. I don't need them in that big of a rush.

Thanks for recommending them and for your help!

pickyricky

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for all of the info Glemon.

I'm now thinking about the 16"X7" Silver Rewind with 205/65/16 Falken Ziex 912 tires. The Miata tire size calculator has this size at the following:

Original 185/80/15 vs. 205/65/16

Sidewall 5.5" Sidewall 5.2"
Radius 13.0" Radius 13.2
Diameter 25.9" Diameter 26.5"
Circumference 81.4" Circumference 83.2"
Revs / Mile 778 Revs / Mile 761
Speedometer error 2.2% slow, when traveling at 60mph on speedo, actual speed will be 61.3mph

I think that if I go that route, I will still fill the wheel wells without rubbing and the 16" wheels will clear the suspension problems.

Any thoughts on that setup?
I just received my 16" Konig Rewinds. Before I order tires I thought I would ask if you ended up with the 205/65r16's and if so did you experience any issues? Anything you would change?

Thank you

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just received my 16" Konig Rewinds. Before I order tires I thought I would ask if you ended up with the 205/65r16's and if so did you experience any issues? Anything you would change?

Thank you
Just a heads up…. This thread is 15 years old so the original poster may not answer.

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
I used 225/50-16 in the back and 205/60-16 tires on my TR4. The wheel offset was "0" so I needed a spacer up front to keep from rubbing the wheel when turning. I did like the look of the 16 inch wheels.
1964_Triumph_TR4_Empi.jpg