• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just curious while waiting on parts!!

GaryBeu

Banned
Carla and I are waiting on a parts order for our '71 MGB. We can't resist going out and looking her over and we keep finding things we don't know...imagine that!! :smile: So can anyone tell us what these photos depict? Thanks.

Whatisit030.jpg

Just behind door...does a shoulder harness go through it?

Whatisit029.jpg

We have no idea...the top cover has a hole for it.

Whatisit031.jpg

This came with the B but we think it belongs to something else. Any ideas? Is it complete?

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I can't tell what that first pic is, but the second pic is indeed a shoulder belt attachment point. The third pic is the top framework for an earlier B or Spridget. I think BL converted over to the integrated folding top that you have (or should have) around '68.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
First pic is the belt retainer... s'posed to keep it within reach of the occupant.

Second is the attachment for the sholder end of the belt as Davester says.

Third indeed looks like the "stow-away" frame for a Spriget.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree: & the winner is....

When you go to ebay to sell those frames, don't put a reserve less than $75 on them (& that might be a little low).

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks guys. We really appreciate it. One more question...we haven't bought a Bentley workshop manual yet so don't know if it would answer this question... We aren't sure that our carb linkages are installed correctly. We put them back the way they came off but the choke cable will only pull sort of sideways and not lift the linkage. We can't find a photo or diagram anywhere that shows how the linkages should look. They all show an exploded parts view that is incomplete. Would a photo of what we have help?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep...then, we can explain what's wrong (if anything).

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks...I'll take a couple tomorrow when I have daylight again!

rustbucket

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The choke linkage on those is weird. It kinda works backward from the way you may be used to. Look at the Victoria British catalog online for parts explosions. You can learn a surprising amount from them. Or at least what may be missing.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I sure hope that Bentley manual is in your parts order. It will become the most useful tool/part that you will ever get for that car. The horrendously greasy, tattered and coverless state of mine is a testament to its utility.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
The Bentley Manual is coming. Catalog parts explosions don't do a whole lot for me sometimes. Here are photos of the carb linkage...if not sufficient, let me know and I'll to get better ones. Thanks.

MGBRebuild034.jpg

MGBRebuild033.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, several problems there....one is that the cable to the right in the 2nd photo isn't even hooked up (it's your choke cable)....another is your return springs...it appears two of them are holding your choke open...

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Tony...I realize that the choke cable isn't hooked up. I am waiting on a couple of attachment parts.

Do I possibly have the linkage upside down (need to reverse end for end)? Without the springs attached, it still needs to be pulled up to move. Where do those two springs go?

If you just want to tell me to wait for the shop manual, I'll understand. Thanks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Actually the springs are pulling the choke closed. But the core of the cable ~should~ be secured on the arm of the front carb's air cleaner bracket. It won't pull correctly going thru the hole on the carb body it is in, in the photo.

I'll work on makin' a photo.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I don't think the springs are holding the choke open Tony, but they are certainly not hooked up right. Gary, you are missing a small fitting that attaches to that brass lever on the choke linkage. The choke cable housing and choke return spring should attach to that. The choke cable comes up through that fitting and then continues upwards to a small cable clamp that attaches to one of the air filter attachment yokes. You need items 38, 44 and 45 on this page (at a minimum) https://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/mg/full.aspx?Page=118 .

The way it works is a little odd. the cable end is fixed at the air filter yoke. When you pull on the choke handle, the cable at the carburettor end doesn't move, but the cable housing slides along the cable and pushes up on the choke lever.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Black arrow is the receiver for the cable sheath. Red line/arrow is the inner cable to the air cleaner mount on the front carb. The little "dingle" on the linkage opposite the sheath receiver is for holding the return spring.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thank you guys VERY MUCH. I think this may help a lot.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No prob, Gary....

...now come on down here an' help me R&R the stoopid clutch slave cylinder in this Alfa while you're waitin' fer parts! :jester:

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I could also use some help yanking the engine/tranny on the sprite for a clutch change (as soon as I get my new table saw out of the way).

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Well Doc and Davester we'd love to come and help but UNFORTUNATELY you're both a little way out of our territory!! We thought we had all of the choke parts we needed ordered but looks like we neglected that bracket for the air cleaner. Also, we are sending a couple more photos (as soon as we finish feeding horses) of the air cleaners...we seem to be missing parts as per the Victoria catalog page 114. We will return in about an hour. Thanks.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Doc, if they're holding it closed, it probably won't run much at all! I've gotta go look at the carbs on my '74-1/2 GT.