• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Curious

MidgetLover

I am curious how others feel about the way, the larger MG and AH world treat our little friends.

In general the spridgets are not desired or respected. Just wondering what others thoughts are?

I have owned my 74 for over 30 years, the car is in excellent condition and the treatment by these groups does bother me.

It also appears to me that the prices of these cars is falling and while that is not what this about it does concern me.

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
Personally, I don't care. For 45 years I have thought the Bugeye was the neatest car anyone ever made. I certainly haven't owned one as long as you or some other folks, but for me it is the essence of driving. I love its basic simplicity and its wonderful form. People with their big money cars can be happy with the choices they have made for whatever reason, but I am comfortable with mine. I built my car for driving, and though I do enjoy the reactions of others towards it, I did all this work for me. If you expect respect from others and are disappointed, remember that the expectation is your own.
Bill

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Go forth and enjoy your auto. It sounds like you own a fine example. Care not what some others may feel about your car, the important part is that you enjoy it. Your group is quite large so there are obviously plenty of folks who love and respect these little rides. Even the larger cars were considered junkyard material at one time, that is how I could afford to buy my big Healey. Tastes vary. Spridgets rock! Stand proud. :driving:

Country flag
Every once in a while someone assumes that my cars are "starter cars" and that some day I'll move on to a nice MGA or BJ8. They are often shocked when I tell them that I have no desire to own either of those cars. But I've never felt excluded. Once I was asked to lead a group drive since I was in the "slowest" car and they didn't want to loose me. You can guess how that turned out.
:devilgrin:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
MidgetLover said:
I am curious how others feel about the way, the larger MG and AH world treat our little friends.

In general the spridgets are not desired or respected. Just wondering what others thoughts are?

I have owned my 74 for over 30 years, the is in excellent condition and the treatment by these groups does bother me.

It also appears to me that the prices of these cars is falling and while that is not what this about it does concern me.

I have had the same experience - though I've come to realize it is not about larger cars vs smaller cares or even "real" MG's vs. Midgets (well that maybe a little) but expensive vs economical. Last summer I was introduced to a fellow who was a ardent club member of his club (i.e. logos on hat, shirt, vest, watch, underwear? (I didn't ask)) Very happy to meet me till he was told I was a Midget owner, then the conversation ended. I didn't mind - That kind of BS I don't need. (BTW don't let me even imply that this is only about wealth - though there is a story of a wise man talking to the king - he takes the king to the window and asks, "what do you see?" the king replies, "I see the people and the market and the houses and my kingdom." Then the wise man gives the king a mirror, holds it up and says, "now what do you see?" The king says, "I see only myself." The wise man replies, "see what a little silver can do?")

I have met many car people who are genuinely open and as interested in my car as I am in theirs - regardless of price point.

In terms of value. Unless you have a bugeye, the price doesn't move much in either direction. This, I suspect because they were cheap starter cars back in the day and now are limiting because of their size and range. As we get to the age to buy these things many of us are <ahem> more horizontally advantaged than we were 30 years ago and, they are not a car we could jump in and drive hours and hours (I know there are people here who do - I drove 400 miles in one shot to the 50th last year - the event was fun, driving there was not)

Bottom line, I think you're right but it also means that we have an opportunity; an accessible car in an increasingly inaccessible hobby, a car that is (relatively) inexpensive to own and a car that no one really cares if we modify since there really isn't much of a concours pull. A car that is a hoot to drive and, at the end of the day, it's the same wind in our hair, the same sun in our faces and the same joy of driving a classic car. Kind of a bonus actually.
:cheers: :driving:

61frogeye

Jedi Trainee
This "hobby" is my passion. As I look back, it has always been my passion and I am thankful for that. I don't spend any time wondering what someone else thinks about my car or what it is worth.

nomad

Yoda
MidgetLover said:

I have owned my 74 for over 30 years, the is in excellent condition and the treatment by these groups does bother me.

It seems to me that the main problem with spridgets value is something related to the economy in general. The only cars that are appreciating are the high dollar cars cause the rich always seem to wheather bad economic times. I've owned some cars that are going nuts value wise and the only reason I see to own them now is for their appreciation, not their enjoyable driving caracteristic's. I'm thinking of selling my MGA cause I never drive it. Its a gorgeous car but its driving and handling chacteristic's don't compare to a spridget in my opinion.

Kurt.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
I dunno, I have not been to any big British car shows.

Once I found out a bunch of Triumphs were gathered at a nearby grocery store parking lot on a Sunday morning. I drove the Midget over there, was welcomed and invited to take a drive with them. Then we had lunch. It was fun.

Car show snobbery is something I do not tolerate. I'd rather just head off into the mountains and have my fun alone. That way I can drive as fast or as slow as I want (group drives can be frustrating).

On the other hand, Spridget owners are a lot that have no problems with modifications. Maybe that puts purists on edge. It's all so subjective that figuring out the currents is just wasting brain-space that could be better used storing rear suspension mod info.

Furthermore, imagine a Spridget attacking a curve. There. Feel better?

Spridget values may be flat, but I have noticed a general rise since I bought mine. Still, great deals abound and that's good because the Spridget is still doing it's job as an entry-level LBC for the masses. Our children can get into sports cars with the Spridget and later make the leap to larger MGs, Triumphs or Porsches (or Lotus clones) with greater mechanical knowledge and better feel for driving sports cars.

It's fun, it's cute, it's full of vintage vibe, it's rarely seen, it's affordable, it corners like a slot car with magnets. It's all good.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Car folks tend to be as "tribal" as any other grouping of people -- humans are a clannish bunch in general. I've been lucky in that the local group of car folks I've connected with are the nicest bunch. Rusty old heap? Come on down. No classic at all, no problem. I did lots of group drives in my modern commuter car. I've found that the "true" car folks like everything and anything.

I did love my little Bugeye, my knees just couldn't take it anymore.
grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've been doing this for 45 years. But honestly, I've never really seen this to any meaningfull degree.

Sometimes, there's some good-natured kidding that goes on.
Especially between Triumph and MG owners. But it's never serious with anyone who has a clue.
As a long-time Spridget owner, I have always seen myself on even footing with guys who own MGCs, TCs, Twin-Cams and so forth. We're all just British sport car guys.

My Miata probably gets "dissed" more that my MGB or Spridgets, but that's no problem. It'll <span style="text-decoration: underline">easily</span> outrun most of the "disser's" cars. :wink:

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We have a local "touring" club, and they meet up Monthly at a local coffee shop. Cars varying from Citroens to a street rod Hudson Commodore, Cobra replica, lots of old Bmw's, MGA, MGB, etc. My Bugeye probably gets as much attention as the others, and its a roach. When people ask which car is mine, I tell them, and they generally get a big grin and are very positive.
Everywhere I drive, I get waves, smiles, and the thumbs up.
I think the car gets plenty of respect.

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
It's all about being comfortable with who you are. It took me forever to get to this point, but now that I am here, I don't give a rat's rear-end what anyone with more assets thinks about me or what I have or do not have. If you really analyze it, people who are snobbish about which cars they drive are really the ones who have hang-ups about themselves. The root for snob, by the way, is sine nobilitas, Latin for without nobility. (or class) Well, that's my rant for today...maybe. I have, over the years, grown to be a bit of a curmudgeon. :jester:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
rkep01 said:
I have, over the years, grown to be a bit of a curmudgeon. :jester:

No, over the years you just noticed it. :devilgrin:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
rkep01 said:
It's all about being comfortable with who you are. It took me forever to get to this point, but now that I am here, I don't give a rat's rear-end what anyone with more assets thinks about me or what I have or do not have. If you really analyze it, people who are snobbish about which cars they drive are really the ones who have hang-ups about themselves. The root for snob, by the way, is sine nobilitas, Latin for without nobility. (or class) Well, that's my rant for today...maybe. I have, over the years, grown to be a bit of a curmudgeon. :jester:

This!
:thumbsup:

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
You know, I've been driving primarily LBCs as daily drivers since my first Mini in 1976.

Over the years I think I've pretty much heard it all. The positive, the negative, the questions, and the laughs.

Car shows have been no different; folks who smiled because the Spridget (or my Minis, or my Hillman, or...etc.) is small, folks who frown cause it's modified, folks who dismiss it cause it's not expensive/exclusive.

I just have fun no matter <span style="font-style: italic">what</span> the reaction.

One of my favorite moments happened about 10 years ago here in Tennessee, in a WalMart parking lot. I was in my Mini pickup, groceries in the bed, getting ready to leave, when this BIG guy, and I mean linebacker big, lumbered up to my left-side window and peeked in. He had a surprised look, likely not expecting a right-side-drive car, and so he walked around to my side and motioned me to roll the window down. The windows were sliders, so I opened the door instead. And he says: "This thing is adorable" And that was that. He waved and walked away. <span style="font-style: italic">Adorable</span>. I've never forgotten it. :laugh:

RickB

Yoda
My 11 year old daughter called me the other day when I was out shopping with the wife. She said the dogs were barking at something in front of the house so she looked and saw this family (mom, dad and kid) admiring the green Bugeye Midget that I had left parked on the street.
They were taking pictures of the kid by the car and they were all three of them smiling and very happy.
These little cars promote the general well being of your community, let them be out there where they can do the most good!

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
If you want dirty looks, disparaging comments and an all-around cold shoulder, try driving a fiberglass replica of a classic car. I swear, sometimes I think I must be driving the equivalent of a VW powered TC/TD replica based upon the attitudes I have encountered. Just when it was all really getting to me, a couple of weekends ago, I spent 15 or 20 minutes showing Jay Leno around my car. He was the one who came over and asked me to tilt open the hood. He then asked a bunch of questions and complemented me upon my solutions to some of the problems I encountered. Not only that, but he even remembered me (or at least, my Laverda Motorcycle) from 15 years ago or more.

I guess the car snobs will always look down on the so-called little guys, but the real car guys are interested in anything with wheels!

BTW, my entry to the California Targa was received with great enthusiasm, one of the organizers even sent me a personal email assuring me that we would be welcome.

OP
M

MidgetLover

I do not show my car, the wife and I were married in the car 27 years ago. Yes, I am old. The whole thought is simply I love cars, all cars. Well maybe I could do with out the Vega, Aztec and Pinto, but that is another discussion.

We do about 2000 miles a year on the car and the prince of darkness has never left us in the dark nor has there ever been any electrical problems, make no mistake about there have been issues but not electrical. It is simply, I wish the car was a bite more valuable as I get older the health is failing and the idea of 2000 miles this summer seems daunting.

That is the general reason for the thread.

G

MidgetLover said:
the wife and I were married in the car 27 years ago. I wish the car was a bite more valuable as I get older the health is failing

Uhhh, Bro, how much more valuable can it be? You used it to marry your wife! It's part of your history, y'all's story. How much is your wedding ring worth ? Just the price of materials? No one else can put a price on things like that.

Same here, wedding car. Not for sale at any price and not concerned about perceived value or trends. It's ours, priceless and that's that!

I haven't time or room in my life for anyone who doesn't understand the level or purity of my car. It's as grassroots as it can be. It's simply about enjoyment, about simplicity. A classic that can (and is) driven everyday. I pride myself in the fact it's not perfect, has rubber bumpers, a Harley muffler and an out-of-round crank. It shouldn't be running but it does. Why? Because I breathed life into it. I never would have guessed it's the perfect car for us. it definatly wasn't my first choice.

I drive my car everywhere and as often as I can. IMO Spridget owners drive their cars more than other car owners do.

RickB

Yoda
As we age we should grow in our appreciation of these little cars, the very young definitely get it and it doesn't hurt us to have a child like joy in our ownership.
I'm not in great health, but that didn't stop me from driving across the country with my teen son last summer to join in with the Midget 50th.
I know others also drive even though it might not be the most wise thing to do, but what price is there to keeping a young heart?
The look of a mom trying to drag her young son away from staring at my car and then seeing her stop and look too is just priceless. The waves and smiles make it all worthwhile.
I'd rather have that any day than the approval of some snobby "car guy".

That being said, I'll bet it was really fun with Leno - that's also a priceless moment. From everything I've heard he's quite a car guy and no snob at all.