• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A curious tachometer take-off

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Our TR3A is made up of bits and pieces from TR2- TR4 but this leaves me flummoxed. The pedestal looks "normal" but has a brass insert (?bushing) with female thread on the end and an overly long ( by 9 inches or so) cable with male fitting. Cannot find any thing like it in catalogues so I presume it come from another marque. TR3 bushings are not listed anywhere I have looked, though I can get the gear that fits inside, and already have the correct cable , which obviously will not fit.

Any ideas where to go with this?

I forgot to add that the brass fitting is a few thou under one inch in diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You are missing the bearing insert that screws into that female brass thread. But that doesn't matter, as the outer bearing in your picture is buggared beyond repair. You need a completely new tach take-off bearing.

s46e3l5.jpg

Not a great pic, but you can see the inner bearing that is missing in your pedestal.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
John has an earlier TR2 with iron pedestals most likely. I think the Factory manual for that engine gives .010 inlet and .012 exhaust but .013 for both if doing "high speed work".
Tom

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
thank you John.
I did not find a decent pic/diagram to explain this. I am supposed to be resting after eye surgery but will try to sneak a peek. Inner bearing seemed firmly attached to the cable!

BTW My rocker pedestal is magnetic so I suppose it too is iron.

Michael

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a little better pic...
ECV7mhW.jpg

And an even better view. This is of the tranny bearing, but as far as I can tell, they are interchangable:

PRrtcDs.jpg

In this pic you can see a small hole on the underside of the outer bearing shell. At the factory a brass pin is jammed in there to lock the inner and outer bearing shells together. It is one of the more tedious chores in replacing the internal seal...drilling the pin out without damaging the fine brass threads. You can see the PO marks on the bearing...as sometimes they get glued in place with dried oil.