• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Interesting TR7 project car in local paper

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Just read through our Calgary Sun automotive section...

One of the well known local writers is planning to restore a TR7 convertible over the winter, it came without an engine and he's had it for years apparently, he's going to build it around a 283 V8 engine (anyone heard of this particular engine in a TR7 before?) He's the same guy who owns a totally hot-rodded MGB - I believe some pictures of it are posted on here - but I get the sense that other than the 283 he'll keep this car "somewhat" stock, but we'll get to read about it all winter here from the sounds of it...

Go, go, British cars! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'll see if I can find a link later (need to head out for the night), or if you feel like it google "Calgary Sun" and surf around, you might find the article online...

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
A 283 sounds like just 60s Chevy small block. Why you'd choose that as the basis for an engine swap instead of a 350cid is beyond me unless he has it sitting around. SBC in a TR7 has been done quite a bit - there is even one like that for sale in the autotrader. I tried to a buy a otherwise mint TR7 conv with a blown motor two years ago but the guy wouldn't sell to me - "mechanics only"! I wonder if its the same car ...

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I'm not sure why one would use a 283 either. It's of totally wrong vintage (1956-1967.) These engines have absolutely no value, unless the block is stamped for 1957-1961 with correct numbers for a Corvette. It's also a fairly heavy motor, so I'd assume he'd need to do some serious suspension tuning.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
The 283 with angle plug heads(high compression) is a real screamer.
When I was younger everyone wanted a set of the 283 power pack heads for thier newer 327's and 350's.
If I had my choice of a 283, or a 350,...I'd take the 283. Course,...that's just me.
A friend had a 283 in his 55 chevy. He was running 12 to one compression, solid lift cam. That was the nastiest sounding car I've ever heard. Been a 283 fan ever since

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,
I know that Triumph eventually went the V8 route, but all that torque, a heavier engine up front and a short wheelbase can make the handling rather tricky. Triumph had, to me anyway, the ideal engine for the TR7, namely the Dolomite Sprint 2 litre engine, which can be made to develop 200 bhp without too much trouble. As it is based on the TR7 block it takes little modification to fit.
I realise that there is an ample supply of V8's in America and I suppose very few Dolomite Sprint engines, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

Alec

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Since I couldn't find the article on-line here's a picture of the car...

1163990_c899b34d27.jpg

And here's the text of the article...

1163991_6c5f84bb5a_b.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Triumph had, to me anyway, the ideal engine for the TR7, namely the Dolomite Sprint 2 litre engine...

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this far w/o looking to see who posted -- would have bet large sums that it would be a member from the right side of the Atlantic. We Yanks just love cubic inches (we don't even know how to spell 'liter').

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
Hats off to the guy. It will be an exciting journey. My 350 was basically free. The parts were cheap and plentiful. Why settle for the 283 when you get same size 350 block for more get-up? If I had the choice (and $$) I would have stroked it out. The torque is what is fun too - kicks you back into the seat. The BMW LS differential has held up well.
I'm impressed!
Jeff3113

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The 283 is the base engine for the 69 Z28 302 engine. Low torque and high horsepower at higher rpm. He even states in the article the low torque will help the rear end. The 350 is a high torque engine. I think the 283 is a great choice for such a lightweight car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Update... I saw Fred Nelson at a recent show and asked him about the TR7, he said it was almost finished and should be ready for spring or summer cruising. I'll keep my eye out for it, I get around quite abit to different shows.

G

[ QUOTE ]
The 283 with angle plug heads(high compression) is a real screamer.
When I was younger everyone wanted a set of the 283 power pack heads for thier newer 327's and 350's.
If I had my choice of a 283, or a 350,...I'd take the 283. Course,...that's just me.
A friend had a 283 in his 55 chevy. He was running 12 to one compression, solid lift cam. That was the nastiest sounding car I've ever heard. Been a 283 fan ever since

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on stinky. When I bought my 72 Nova, the guy I bought it from had a set of 283 heads on the 350, nice setup. If I remember correctly he said they were off of a Chevy Biscayne wagon, or something like that. Unfortunately, he took those heads and the carb and intake when he sold the car to me (I got it cheap as a result). I replaced them with the normal 350 heads, but it was never quite the same as it was with those 283 pieces. Friend of mine had a 283 in a 66 Chevelle convertible, and it moved pretty decently for such a large car with a small cube motor.