• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Interesting definitions of "rust free" TR7 on ebay

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
Interesting definitions of "rust free" TR7 on ebay

I'm not saying this dealer is intentionally misrepresenting the car, but there were a few things that bugged me about the listing.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6469&item=2454462777

They make a piont of saying things like "rust free" and "look ma, no rust".

The last picture in the listing very clearly shows a bad rust through spot on the right hand side that indicates a potentially very serious problem in the sill.

Another picture of the left hand inner fender has a mystery dark spot in the "chip proof" coating they put in TR7 wheel wells. The spot just happens to be right where a spot welded seam is that is below the clutch and brake master cylinders. On 100% of the TR7s that I have seen a spot like that on, you can poke a screwdriver through the bulkhead(firewall) in that area due to the corrosion caused by the brake fluid eating the seam sealer and paint away from that weld and trapping moisture.

I could see a couple of other things that indicate that the car is less than what is advertised, those were just the 2 big ones.

Be carefull when it comes to purchasing cars on Ebay. A relative in Pittsburgh, PA once told me that "Around here, rust free means you can't see the road through the floorboards".
shocked.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Re: Interesting definitions of "rust free" TR7 on ebay

I sent the seller an email saying that the car was clearly not rust free and to please be honest when selling cars. I also said the Triumph community is watching and complaining loudly.

It won't do anything...but at least we've said our peace.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Picture #9... What the heck is hanging down on the left of the column? It looks like the ignition assembly. What would you think Mark?
Other then that, it looks like a fantastic deal. I think if they left out all the Rust Free crap, they would get a lot more for it then what the last bid is though.

That IS the IGNITION ASSMBLY! Also the steering wheel is from a 75 or 76 TR7. Leads me to think maybe the steering rack was replaced?? All that rust on the inner wheel inside the engine bay bothers me. Maybe a fire was there?

OP
M

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Langelo DeMysterioso:
That IS the IGNITION ASSMBLY! Also the steering wheel is from a 75 or 76 TR7. Leads me to think maybe the steering rack was replaced?? All that rust on the inner wheel inside the engine bay bothers me. Maybe a fire was there?<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that is the ignition lock and switch, maybe they didn't have a key that worked.

The steering wheel on that car is absolutly correct for a USA spec TR7 in 1980.

That stuff on the wheel wells in the engine bay isn't rust. Its a spray on rust inhibitor. It looks like a treatment that a dealer or owner had done though, rather than the Ziebart rust proofing that BL commonly had done in Canada before the cars were shipped out to dealers.

Assuming the rust in the rear of the right hand sill doesn't extend to the inner sill, or the strengthener inside the sill. Also that the rusthrough where the front bulkhead and inner finder meet under the brake cylinder is minimal, the current $1800 bid seems a little high for a TR7 without air conditioning.

With some relativly easy DIY rust repairs, it could be a very good driver if the mechanicals are good.

Now a Spider or 30th Anaversery edition in the same condition would be worth about $500-1000 more than that. =)

nonod.gif
I spent many years behind this wheel wishing it was a three spoke model.
Look here and see same steering wheel:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2454864364&category=6469[/ URL]

I think this wheel disappeared after 77 and does not appear on any roadsters. It was replaced by the black three spoked steering wheel (which is actually under this pad) which gave way to the metal three spoked wheel on the 30th Anniversary Edition and Spider. I've even seen this pad for sale in some parts bins. I think it just screws on the top of the three spoke wheel. Just looked in my Bentley's and it says pad is correct for "1975 and 1976 models only".

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited by: Langelo DeMysterioso ]</p>

OP
M

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior

Thats what I get for making a statement based on my experience with several cars that had passed through a lot of hands.
blush.gif

The Complete TR7 and TR8 book marks that end of that steering wheel around the time production moved to Canley.

Both of the TR7 convertables I have owned had the same steering wheel as that one on ebay, as does the junkyard special TR7 I have stripped down in my garage.

My suspicion is that the standard steering wheels didn't hold up well to the elements and got replaced with used ones out of early coups that were sitting in salvage yards.
smile.gif

MichaelF

Poor guy ! Someone paid $2,575.00 to become the winning bidder of the "Look Ma No Rust" vehicle. It would be an OK price if in fact there WAS no rust
wink.gif

I guess in a few weeks the buyer may show up here asking about bodyshell repairs. Very embarrassing when this post turns up in a search !!!