• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interesting 100 Coupe

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
100 coupe.jpg100 coup.jpg

I saw this interesting 100 with a fixed aluminum fastback style body in a completed auction on eBay. Looks professionally done. It was/is a Nasty Boy as well and I wonder if the coupe mods were done at the same time. This is one where I wish the car could talk. Here's the link to the "reseve not met" auction: https://tinyurl.com/bve36o6

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
The trunk lid appears to be from some other car. I wonder if the entire top was taken from another car and made to fit? It does look like a nice job.

Bruce

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The trunk lid appears to be from some other car. I wonder if the entire top was taken from another car and made to fit? It does look like a nice job.

Bruce

That top looks custom to me as does the truck lid, but who knows. Here's one in which the builder put a Triumph GT 6 top on:

n3o2h.jpg

I would think that a Healey coupe without A/C could get pretty unbearable during the warm months.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Curious why the trunk lid was already painted, three holes already in it, as if it came from an existing vehicle. I also remarked once that a Healey coupe did not seem right but it sure looks nice.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Looks like a Lemans Special with a modified boot for quick spare tyre access as most Lemans cars like Cobra were modified. All GT competition road course cars had to have a spare and most figured a way to get to them quick. Just my thoughts, as the older racers in rallye and FIA Europe did this.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Used to be they had to prove the spare was usable too. I've seen video during pitstops of guys taking the spare out, bouncing it to prove it was inflated, and putting it back. The idea was that showed they could have used it if necessary. I think that was a production classes requirement and not prototype classes.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Used to be they had to prove the spare was usable too. I've seen video during pitstops of guys taking the spare out, bouncing it to prove it was inflated, and putting it back. The idea was that showed they could have used it if necessary. I think that was a production classes requirement and not prototype classes.

FIA had a bunch of arcane requirements like needing to carry a certain suitcase size, which led to some interesting bumps on the FIA Cobra bootlids:

rr79f9.jpg

Mert

I own a 60 BN7 that came with a removable hardtop. Attached is a photo taken in 1988. While towing the car to St. Louis, wind caught the top -- blew it off - destroyed it. I still believe these tops are made in the UK. It was referred to as a LeMans top.Healey top.jpgHealey top 1.jpg I still own the Healey MK1 3000.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I own a 60 BN7 that came with a removable hardtop. Attached is a photo taken in 1988. While towing the car to St. Louis, wind caught the top -- blew it off - destroyed it. I still believe these tops are made in the UK. It was referred to as a LeMans top.View attachment 27075View attachment 27076 I still own the Healey MK1 3000.
Maybe someone will chime in on this, but it was brought up before. There was a company in the Northwest US or possibly Calif that produced these type of tops. Another company grabbed a sample of their top and was reproducing it at a lesser price. Both have been long gone. I have an old Sports Car magazine showing the top installed on a car with the companies name, etc. This looks similar enough to be one of those tops.