• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Interesting TR6 on OC Craigslist

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not my cup-of-tea. Why not just by the real car instead of dumping all that money into a TR6?
Yes, I realize that some people like it, but to me.... Not so much.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
That's a "thing" that I've long respected but never much liked or embraced for myself...but to each is own.... ;)

OTOH, I really do NOT understand dumping nearly six figures into something like that. Why not simply save a bit longer and go for something truly special (pick your favorite Jaguar, BMW, Porsche, Aston-Martin, etc., etc.)?

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
It's a Franken-6.........but like the ad says: " it basically a brand new European sleeper hot rod"

so if your into shock and awe, you could definitely impress everybody you just left behind.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I don't understand the dumping of wasted money only to sell at a loss. I guess the show off attitude of, I had somebody do this for me to make me a car guy thing. Always irritated at the high dollar collector that cannot do his own work or complains of the shaft he gets when repairs are made. But, then to each his own. I'll keep pluging away at my old stuff until the daisies call.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
If the car is so great, why is he selling - and at a huge loss? I had one engine swap - Lea-Francis engine and gearbox into 1951 MG TD. Never worked out. The gearbox stank - came out of gear in the middle of the clubhouse turn on the old Thompson track and I did a 180. The stock TD rear end then was 5.125 to 1 -a poor fit with the Leaf gearbox - over-revved the engine in every gear. I traded it even up for a new Renault 4 CV. Some conversions seem to work out OK. I've seen a few MGB-V8's that the owners seem happy with. I'm dubious as to how the stock TR6 rear suspension and differential would stand up to 2 or 3 times the horsepower and increased torque of another powerplant. Why bother? The TR6 is not underpowered as it is and can be tweaked to produce more power with very little additional stress on the stock components. I guess you can do anything with enough money. Look at that cretin who had machine guns installed in the front of his re-do by Fantom Works. As the French say "Chacoun a son gout",(each to his own taste) or in Latin "De gustibus, non disputandum". (There's no accounting for taste). Some things never change.

arcom

My favorite part of the listing:

No test rides unless has $45K cash in hand

I could see a high asking price, but not $45K, if the interior were stock or close to stock with additional gauges to reflect the engine work. It does have great (Kalifornia) gang banger appeal.

Country flag
Yes, a lot of good things done to the car but seems like a lot of over kill. I have a 76 TR6 that PO put a Datsun 280Z motor and 5 speed trans in. Car goes faster than I want to drive. It can bought for $5k.
Marv

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I always thought that would be a good swap for a TR6. I had a '79 280ZX 2+2 for a couple of years. One of the better cars of the 30 I've owned. It was getting a bit of rust so I sold it. Another one I shoulda kept...

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's a thread from miata.net where someone is building a TR6 using NC (2006 - 2015) Miata subframes front and rear, a custom frame tying front and rear together along with hopped Honda S2000 engine and transmission. Like others have said about the car on cragislist, this one isn't exactly my cup o' tea, but I am impressed by the fabrication work being performed. It's long and picture heavy, but you should take some time to look at the fab work. Haven't seen an update in a while, but that is not so unusual in this thread.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=501644

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I had a '79 280ZX 2+2 for a couple of years. One of the better cars of the 30 I've owned. It was getting a bit of rust so I sold it. Another one I shoulda kept...

A girlfriend, back in college, had a 260Z.
when we broke up I was heart broken...........I really loved that car.