• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ignition timing n stuff

irish

Did a static ignition timing, used a 12-volt bulb in parallel with the contact breaker points open in relation to dimple in crankshaft pulley at TDC etc. Engine started up rough and hissing from carbs. Looked like the belt was too tight so I slackened it. Engine would not start after this. Trying to figure things out, I noticed that the dimple in the crankshaft pulley had move to about 15 degrees TDC.

(1) Would loosening the belt have caused that?

Also, having just rebuilt the twin HS2 SU carbs, and trying to get this Sprite cranked up smoothly, how much should the throttle adjustment screws be set. I know from reading that the jet adjustment knob is recommended two full turns from the top as a rough setting but

(2)what about the throttle adjustment and even the fast idle adjustment settings

...it's kind of becoming intuitive this Sprite resurrection, hurray!
...comments appreciated, Irish

CK_1500

You don't state which model you have, but if it's one with a vibration damper in the crank pulley (1275's and 1500's, mostly, I believe), there's a possibility that the rubber is deteriorating and the pully may rotate relative tothe crank keyway. Worth checking out.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
my throttle screws are barely screwed down at all....im sure it varies, but u need it running to really set them.....sound like ur timings still off.....
once u start ur car, turn ur distributor slowly till ur motor smoothes out....will get u close, and at one time mine ran really well set that way.............z

OP
I

irish

Thanks all for the input...this little monster 61 AH Sprite ROARED to life Friday afternoon for the first time since 1986 (I found it buried in a neighbors garage 5 years ago)...it was great! Of Course she's got a radiator leak and oozed oil into the footwell of the passenger side floorboard since I'd forgotten to screw back on the oil pressure line...but I was still laughing and cheering. I'll be posting a picture soon...irish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

PS While I'm at it, two more questions:
where does the odometer cable go into on the engine(ie near what, left or right side etc.) and
where does the oil temp probe go...happy motoring

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cable goes in transmision, drivers side, oh about midway bottom.

temp probe goes in top, passinger side radiator.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my gosh, had a senior moment.

Oil is at the rear of the engine passanger side. just below the large oil line bolt that goes to your oil filter, well below and forward an inch.

Thanks Jeff

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack, I meant that the bulb was for water temp, not oil temp. I guess some people think the combination gauge is for oil pressure and temp.
You had the location right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Boy am I screwed up this morning, surely did not catch that. Easy way to do oil temp is put an electrical sender in the oil drain hole. Makes it a pita to change the oil but.......

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Another place for an oil temp sender is in the "banjo bolt" at the rear of the engine. This is the bolt on the other end of the external oil line from the oil filter.
Bill

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Then what do you do about the external oil feed to the oil filter? Is there a trick I should know about Bill?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
No- you don't remove anyhing (effectively, don't drill/tap in place!!). You just thread a hole into the head and screw the sender straight in- the bolt head is big enough for most aftermarket temp sender units (1/8 NPT thread).
Bill