• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heritage Certification

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi all I was wondering what the best way to receive one of those Heritage Certification is? Do I go to their web site or is there a better way.
Sp53

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Go through the website. Seems to have worked well thus far.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've gotten them for 2 cars so far, both through the website. Worked smoothly.

cutlass29

- ordered 2 certs end of last month using the web site. All went smoothly...they confirmed order by email Oct. 3rd. and confirmed shipping Oct 5th...even though their web site says it may take up to 28 days to process.

- Not received the order yet but might be something to do with a mail strike in the UK.

cutlass29

Alec,

- thanks for the heads up on the mail situation

- what part of Shropshire you in...my sister used to live in Cleobury Mortimer...spent a lot of summers there in my youth...lovely part of the country.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
cutlass29 said:
they confirmed order by email Oct. 3rd. and confirmed shipping Oct 5th...even though their web site says it may take up to 28 days to process.

They confirmed mine shipped on Sept 12th. But there's something funny with their status system, as I later found out my cert didn't actually ship until Oct 9th. They have been very friendly and helpful sorting out the small amount of trouble I had with my cert, though.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
sp53 said:
Hi all I was wondering what the best way to receive one of those Heritage Certification is? Do I go to their web site or is there a better way.
Sp53

I don't mean to split hairs, but I think you mean a
Heritage Production Certificate?
That is the production record of your car when it was manufactured. This is easy to get, just costs £25. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

"Heritage Certification" is for parts to be manufactured to specific standards approved by the British Motor Heritage Trust before they are sold. This is not easy to get. Most parts not carrying a certification are not worth buying. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Who should you go to for a certificate and a replacement serial number plate? My plate has the number only as all the black background was "Washed off" by a previous owners brake fluid etc. "episode"
Where is the chassis number? Is that the second plate on the passenger side? Should I also provide the serial number on the block? Anything else?

Here is Victoria British plate location info from their catalogue
https://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/tc/0010.asp

Here is the British HMC site
https://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/shop/heritage-certificate/index.html

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
If you want a new VIN plate, you have to buy a new blank plate and then stamp your commision number onto it. They are available from the big three.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
And do try to avoid attracting the attention of the authorities; as I believe it's now a US Federal law prohibiting "tampering" with a VIN plate.

A reasonable person might argue that not changing the number doesn't constitute "tampering"; but reason and the law seem to be increasing strangers these days.

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
The law on the VIN / commission number plate gets debated a lot. My understanding is that you can't alter the plate for the purpose of committing fraud. I don't think making a replacement is a problem although some will argue that point. Faking TR4s is not a big problem as far as I know. The Tiger guys get very tense about this, however. I hear there are more Tigers now than were ever produced. The result is that some of those folks are at the point of suggesting that if the rivets on the plate are not original then you don't have a real Tiger (the rivets are unique and not easily faked - or so they say).

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
BryanC said:
The law on the VIN / commission number plate gets debated a lot. My understanding is that you can't alter the plate for the purpose of committing fraud. I don't think making a replacement is a problem although some will argue that point. Faking TR4s is not a big problem as far as I know. The Tiger guys get very tense about this, however. I hear there are more Tigers now than were ever produced. The result is that some of those folks are at the point of suggesting that if the rivets on the plate are not original then you don't have a real Tiger (the rivets are unique and not easily faked - or so they say).

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Tiger? I'm guessing a TR5? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
The Sunbeam Tiger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_Tiger

My first ride in british car at age three. Dad owned it for 6 months (I've got the recipts...).

Can still vividly remember the dash (all I could see) and the switches...

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
AH!Yes Tigers.One of my cars was a "Tiger"1965 260cc,And it WAS unique & FAST.,And i bought it new'special ordered' from 'Geller Imports'in Akron Oh.owned it for 4 years.I've always owned Brit cars & nothing else(but their is American iron in the garage) since.Mine had special ordered 'Cosmic Mag'wheels traction masters,Koni shocks,Edelbrock head & manifold,Panard rod(rear axel)Salisbury rearend,BorgWarner short throw lock out shifter,Pirelli tires(very sticky)One thing for sure,I had to hang on for dear life.AND Chrysler STILL OWNS THE NAME.It would be nice to see a new Tiger on the market....And a new Spitfire.
Cheers
Ken&WhiteLightning

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
AH!Yes Tigers.One of my cars was a "Tiger"1965 260cc,And it WAS unique & FAST.,And i bought it new'special ordered' from 'Geller Imports'in Akron Oh.owned it for 4 years.I've always owned Brit cars & nothing else(but their is American iron in the garage) since.Mine had special ordered 'Cosmic Mag'wheels traction masters,Koni shocks,Edelbrock head & manifold,Panard rod(rear axel)Salisbury rearend,BorgWarner short throw lock out shifter,Pirelli tires(very sticky)One thing for sure,I had to hang on for dear life.AND Chrysler STILL OWNS THE NAME.It would be nice to see a new Tiger on the market....And a new Spitfire.
Cheers
Ken&WhiteLightning