• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

herculiner over POR15 for underside

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
How bad of an idea is this?

After I remove all of the orginal undercoat from my TR6, I was thinking about covering the entire underside with POR15 and putting 2 coats of herculiner or some other roll on bed liner.

Has anyone tried this? I am looking for a do it once and never think about it kind of solution for the bottom of the car.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
IMO not necessarily a bad idea but give some thought to the places that you can't get to. Unless everything is completely covered the coatings will allow ay moisture that works it's way in to stay there.
Tom

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The entire underside of my car was stripped and painted with POR15, except for the chassis components which were powder coated. I can't see it hurting anything.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I completely coated the underside of my TR6 with a bed liner product. It is also used in marine applications. So far it has held up nicely.

Attachments

• 29509.jpg
    29509.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 225

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Elliot:
That looks great - how did you apply it? If you used a spray gun, what size nozzle did you use?
Thanks!
Roy

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Used a roller that was supplied with the coating material.
I think a sprayer would have clogged up quickly because of the abrasive material mixed into the coating.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would have never guessed - it really flowed nicely and looks smooth, excellent job! That encourages me to do the same with my BE whenever I get to that stage.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
jackag91 said:
thanks for the feedback.

Elliot, I would love to see some more pictures of your cradle.

Here you go...

Attachments

• 29513.jpg
    29513.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 29514.jpg
    29514.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 29515.jpg
    29515.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 192

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here's what I built to move the body around...

Attachments

• 29518.jpg
    29518.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 169

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My TF was coated many years ago with the old style undercoating that dealers sprayed on. Restoring the car back to original, the undercoating has to go! It is a nightmare to remove. The wooden floor boards, even though they were in good shape, I had to throw them away as the undercoating was near impossible to remove. Took over a week to clean it off the underside of just one fender using a commercial heat gun and horse hoof scraper and paint thinner. What a pain!
I will say, it preserved the car from any underside rust for near 57 years. The car only had one rust minor spot the size of a half dollar behind one running board bolt. The sheet metal under the coating looks like new when exposed, I've even found some of the original paint, MG Red, not faded in perfect condition covered by the undercoating, which proves that if applied properly, it works!
When I restored the wifes 72 B, I sprayed the underside with undercoating. It even helps insulate some of the road noise. Because of "Popular vote", it has not been a deterrent from her winning first and second place trophys at shows. Just saying, undercoating has it's place, which isn't on all cars. PJ

AHBN1

Country flag
Hi. Give some thought to the Line"X" product. It's a sprayed on coating used in truck beds but can be applied in the colour of your choice, hard as nails and a fairly thin application. I've seen Jeep bodies (exterior) completely coated in the stuff.
Dave