• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HELP...lost file

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I was going to put some MGB parts on ebay today, and guess what ..the whole file has dissapeared. All my photos of the last three years of ALL my cars, work, and car stuff. GONE, the folder isn't even there. I know zilch about computers,I have no anti virus or back up files. I have been getting some MANCORE.DLL and some SIMON warnings saying my computer will shut down. Now what, where to look to find my files again. I cant believe this. Any ideas? Can someone sneek in and do this?

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
what kind of internet connection do you have and what protection are you running? also windows or mac? and if windows what version?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can someone sneak in and do this: YES---These are viruses known as "Exploit" that enter via the back door. Both Internet explorer and Yahoo are susceptible and their security fixes are reported to be inadequate. you may need expert help to retrieve the data if it is possible. Also an Anti Spy/Virus program is recommended---Fwiw-Keoke

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
he might be able to do a system restore and take it back a few days and recover the data

RickB

Yoda
Try doing a search of your whole system for any part of the names of any of the files.
I have had people inadvertently move folders and then not be able to find them.
If you can remember the name of a file that will help.

OP
B

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
My system restore doesnt work. My computer is 7 yrs old and has every germ known to man.
My wife and I found them,somewhere, hundreds of them and clicked every one to my documents. How do I get them from my documents into a new folder. I created a new folder but don't know how to get them from my documents into the new folder. They are not pictures when in my documents but just some tiny image.

I have a knot in my back...

RickB

Yoda
Do you have a cd burner on the machine?
It would be better to copy the files you want to save on a cd, then on another cd, then on another cd - making sure you can read each one of them. Keep each copy in a separate place.
Reinstall your operating system, making sure to completely wipe out everything that was there before - what we refer to as "take it down to bare metal". Of course, after you have saved all the file you can.
Then start out by installing a good anti virus program and anti spyware program, both of which you need to update continuously and run on a schedule every day.
After your antivirus and anti-spyware programs are installed and running attempt to copy your files from the cd you burned back to your system. You may have transferred your bugs to the cd, but your protective programs should keep your new system safe.

Or - get and run some good anti virus and anti spyware programs now. Don't bother running them until they are up to date with all the latest updates.

Or shoot it and get a new one /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
BOXoROCKS said:
I was going to put some MGB parts on ebay today, and guess what ..the whole file has dissapeared. All my photos of the last three years of ALL my cars, work, and car stuff. GONE, the folder isn't even there. I know zilch about computers,I have no anti virus or back up files. I have been getting some MANCORE.DLL and some SIMON warnings saying my computer will shut down. Now what, where to look to find my files again. I cant believe this. Any ideas? Can someone sneek in and do this?

More than likely the files are still on the hard drive, just hidden or under a different extension. If you know someone who is computer wise, you could have them try to retrieve them for you. I would suggest, as someone else suggested, install an anti virus/spy ware program and run it. Make sure it's up to date. Norton's System Works is ok but if you have Windows Vista, get Norton's 360 as System Works won't work in it yet. Whatever you do, don't format the hard drive until you make a copy of it. Otherwise you will loose all data. The only way I know of retrieving wiped data is with a forensics program and their very expensive.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do some calling monday to computer stors and ask for their help. What you need can be done.

Oh yea, while there have the system cleaned up and keep it that way.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
If the system is 7 years old and nothings been done since then, you're probably running Win 98 or God forbid 95. If the computer store doesn't tell you to upgrade to XP then leave and go somewhere else. Don't let anyone "fix" an old corrupted computer. get the xp operating system. Tell them to download Firefox for you, then you'll only need Internet Exploder for Paypal. Unless you know what you're doing inside the case, you shouldn't try to save money on computers, settle for saving hours and hours of your valuable time. And get a good anti-virus program and USE IT.Not worth a penny if you don't run it and keep it current.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
and a good firewall, not the one that comes with XP. I use zonealarm's free version. Free is my favorite price

em754

It depends on how badly you want the files, it's not too difficult a job to retrieve them, but you will have to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.
I use a program appropriately called 'Recover my files'.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
19_again said:
If the system is 7 years old and nothings been done since then, you're probably running Win 98 or God forbid 95. If the computer store doesn't tell you to upgrade to XP then leave and go somewhere else. Don't let anyone "fix" an old corrupted computer. get the xp operating system. Tell them to download Firefox for you, then you'll only need Internet Exploder for Paypal. Unless you know what you're doing inside the case, you shouldn't try to save money on computers, settle for saving hours and hours of your valuable time. And get a good anti-virus program and USE IT.Not worth a penny if you don't run it and keep it current.

A computer that's 7 years old is like a man being 90. Things don't work as well as they should. The thing is, today you can buy a new computer or a rebuilt one with more memory, larger hard drive, and many upgraded features for the same price or LESS, than it could take to revamp your old one. A new one will come with Vista. MS won't sell XP in a computer anymore. Most programs today are designed for XP or Vista. Support for any other MS Op system is pretty much over except Vista.
With all said and done, you could take your older machine and install Linux. It will speed it up overall and eliminate all the Microsoft Problems. I have both. JMHO. PJ

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
actually MS is now allowing Dell to sell XP for an increased price.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
ccougill said:
actually MS is now allowing Dell to sell XP for an increased price.

Is this for all Dell computers? My son, who works for American Airlines, just bought a Dell top of the line custom built lap top, (Dell will do this), and requested Windows XP to be loaded in it instead of Vista, they wouldn't sell him one. Only Vista. He would have to personally un-install Vista and then install XP on his own. American has some sort of a deal with Dell on using their computers. He had to purchase a new Airline data program to work with Vista as the XP program was not compatible. I have no idea what that program is. This XP thing must have just happened, as my son dealt directly with a Dell tech. and this was not mentioned. If this is true, he's not going to be very happy.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
probably just for desktops, I just had them quote me one with XP. And in case they ever quit selling XP I have a virgin xp disk stashed away

OP
B

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I have found them and somewhow put them into "my documents",but they are just an image not a photo. How do I move them from "my documents" into a folder and the place that is called "my pictures" where they were before. I have a piece of junk called windows ME.

RickB

Yoda
Box O Rocks, if you want you can PM me and I'll try to help.
(I'm a real, actual IT guy - not only my hobby, also my job... shhhh, don't tell anybody)

Windows ME - ouch! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif