• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 Paint - CODE 34....where can I find it?

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Does anyone know a good place, or how about "any" place,to get factory color paint from? I am just getting ready to spray the frame, and I can't see to find anywhere to order the paint from.
The paint code is 34 which I think is a cream color, is there a site or reference somewhere that I can check this as well?
Car is a 1969 Triump GT6.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Mikey

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mikey, according to my GT6 manual, the description for code 34 is "Jasmine Yellow". I have no idea what it looks like, but it may well be "cream" color.
My local PPG distributor had no trouble in coming up with the correct formula to mix my code 19, white. It was a match to what was originally on the car, looking at the paint in hidden areas.
Jeff

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
try

Vintage Triumph Register...
www.vtr.org

They have a number of old paint codes on there, check it out. I gave that info to yhe guy working on mine, and he was able to mix it up for me.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
Yes Jasmine Yellow, is actually more of a "Cream color", or "off white"

Here's a Jasmine Yellow 1972 TR6:

Harold.JPG

OP
svtmikey

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Perfect guys!
Thanks so much!
Nice to see the true colour as well...mine was painted red when I got it and I only found the Jasmine as I was stripping it down....only then did I check the paint number on the ID plate....duh!
The frame has been blasted and wire brushed, and has 2 coats of rust encapsilator on it.
Luckly there was very little rust on it at all.
Can't wait to start painting it.
Thanks

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Jasmine changed over the years. The 68 and 69 Jasmine is very different from the 1972.

I had a '68 TR-250 that was originally Jasmine Yellow, and there was a Jasmine '69 TR-6 when I was in the Texas Triumph Register. Both cars were much more TAN than yellow. Kind of an ugly color (I had my car repainted signal red /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Here's the '69 TR6 pic from the Texas Triumph Register.

com1000a.jpg

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
I agree with how the color varied. My TR6 was originally Jasmine, and I've checked out going back to that color. Based on original paint found under the hood (which I polished up), it looked much closer to Sam's example. The paint guy I'm working with said he'd use his computer to "read" the color, and mix up a batch.

However, never followed through, as Laurel Green caught my eye, and that's what's happening to it now.

OP
svtmikey

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, I'm not too keen on Jasmine myself, but I want this one to be original.
it was (badly) repainted Signal Red before I got my hands on it....
As far as I'm concerned there really is only one color for a car.....BLACK...everything else is just a bad shade of black!!
Thanks again guys

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mikey, I remember taking my '65 Sprite to a body shop in California for an estimate. The car was originally BLACK, but had been repainted, and rather poorly, in a pathetic shade of green.
I told the guy not to worry about the front fenders or bonnet, as I had new parts for that. After looking the car over, (no rust at all) he said, "About $1500.00. What color did you want?"
I told him "black, just like original." He looked at me, and said, "About $2500,00."
As we all know, the body work has to be perfect to do a good job in black.
Jeff

OP
svtmikey

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Jeff,

Boy are you right!....but when when the body work is perfect....there is nothing better than a Black car...no matter what!
Thanks

Mikey

G

A little aside: one should always keep some extra paint from the original spray-job for that occasion when you will have to do some touch up. As noted above, no two colours are alike, even black. In spite of normal fading, reds especially, nothing will match that perfect colour like some of the original mix. There are too many variables when mixing paint to assume that you can duplicate the colour. How much to keep? How deep are your pockets?
Now, on the other side of the isle, a really good paint man can custom match a paint, whether it be computer-aided or skillful eyed but there is nothing like the real deal. Have had to mix many a micro batch to cover a chipped bolt under the hood or repair a dreaded rock chip.

Bill

Rippthrough

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff,

Boy are you right!....but when when the body work is perfect....there is nothing better than a Black car...no matter what!
Thanks

Mikey

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">
There's nothing wrong with this colour either </font>

OP
svtmikey

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Actually..there is nothing wrong with ANY colour ...as long as it's on a vintage car!!!
Best of the Season to All!!!!
Mikey