• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Go ahead and laugh, like I did . . .

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
On various motorcycle forums, I've been reading about using trigger spray bottle furniture polish as a magic solution for just about everything. So eventually, I tried it on a bike fender, and was stunned. Did the entire bike. That black stuff that gets all yukky with wax turned like new. Did my helmet face shield; perfect. Did another bike with same results. Finally did the TR6, and love it. The bikers seems to prefer Pledge, but I have a no-name orange scented cleaner/wax. Gotta try it at least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
I've used Pledge for years on painted surfaces like toolboxes. I even used to use it to polish bicycle frames. Any surfaces that you don't normally wax will respond well to it. Great stuff! Just be sure to use the hand pump spray and not aerosol.

A

aerog

Pledge is one of the few products I found that takes tar/asphalt out of carpeting (I stepped in some somewhere and left a bad spot once). I also use it on airplane windshields and plastic parts that need cleaning - works great on getting the bugs off too.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I've used it underhood on hoses and plastic parts with great success. I've also used in on interior vinyl and plastic...like it better tha Armor all or some such.

R

Randi

live and learn......I've been a sucker for every "easier...faster.....new and improved" car product known to man-I could have been using PLEDGE??????????I am DUMB! Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

A

aerog

Terrific on vinyl rear-windows on MGs too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Just be sure to use the hand pump spray and not aerosol.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the problem withe the aerosol version?

74WannaB

Pledge, who'da thought. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Hugh

R6MGS

Yoda
Wow! who thought of that one? lol....I can't wait to give it a try....looks like a got a long wait though...another 10-15 cm of the white stuff on the way tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Okay guys? I have Pledge. Do you use it as a cleanser or a polishing agent? I like the idea of using it on my B much better than on my furniture!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JB I can recognize your aversion to using Pledge on the furniture but beware of these so called short cuts.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Okay Keoke. On your recommendation, I'm tossing the Pledge.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
How about using it on tires to give that nice, black, nearly new look? I've been using a bottle of Armor-All Exterior Protectant on the Jag's and MG's tires, but once it's gone, I don't intend to replace it. I spend too darn much money on stuff like that. BMW's got Dunlop's, and they say not to use any protectant of any kind on them. To their credit, they've stayed pretty black.

A

aerog

303 Aerospace protectant on the tires. It gives a black, but satin (not greasy/shiny look) to the tires. If you believe 303's paperwork it also is good for the material. Water will quickly remove 303 though.

For my regular daily driver I sometimes use Meguiars Endurance - stays on, doesn't wash off easily, looks good.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I tried non aerosol Pledge on my helmet and face shields. It really cleaned them up. Tried it on the gas tank of the bike and it seemed to cover up some of the scratches. But even the non-aerosol version seems to live a residue of some kind behind. Probably has to do with preserving furniture. But my helmet has a slick shine on it that it hasn't had since new.

bugimike

Yoda
I have used Pledge to "wax" my model cars and on the clear window on the BE top! Works just fine!

PS: if you live in an area w/lots of bugs (It's love-bug season now here in Fl.!) I just learned a really good home remedy for removing them! Hose and wipe with the little fabric-softener "wipes" that you throw into the drier with clothes! I was amazed at the results with NO effect on the finish!!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Pledge is the only wax my race car ever sees. I never have time for more than a quick wash with the garden hose and spray of Pledge. After an hour or so on the track, it looks horrible anyway.

I use 303 on the Miata top and other plastic/vinyl areas.