• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

go ahead & laugh

69tr

Jedi Trainee
I am kinda new to the LBC family. I owned a Midget and a Spitfire in my early days. I am currently working on a 69 TR6.

Just for my information what is the difference between the MGTF, TC, & TD? Is it just a designation to identify the year model? When you guys finish laughing at my ignorance, let me know. I have always thought these were some of the coolest cars built. When I recover from my "6" rebuild, I might look at one of these cars for another money recepticle.

Thanks, Pete

A

aerog

They're different cars, not just the years. The more knowledgeable types can no doubt list a myriad of differences, but casually looking at them the TCs use narrow tall wire wheels, the TDs used stamped steel wheels and were a little lower looking. The TFs were completely different with fared-in headlamps. The TC/TDs had an engine cover that opened along the top and sides, the TF just hinged at the top.

Steve_S

Yoda
Re: go ahead & laugh

The TC is a carry over from pre-war designs. It was the replacement for the TB which was short lived just before WWII. There were upgrades made in the suspension and engine but the design was still a bit antiquated.

In 1950 the TD was released. This was a similar car in appearance but streamlined a bit more. They changed from the old 19" narrow wire wheels to modern stamped steel 15" wide ones. Left hand drive was offered which was never an option on the TC. The biggest change was to independent front suspension and rack and pinion steering. These were borrowed from the Y-Type Saloon cars of the late 40's - early 50's, which were the first production MGs ever to receive such features. Despite their technological superiority, the TC was considered by many a better car than the TD in both speed and handling.

The TD was very behind in styling for the 1950's when compared to most other cars. Streamlining was the rage and the old "square rigger" style was not popular with new car buyers. Rather than design an entirely new car, MG tried to modernize the T-series with the TF. Headlamps were molded into the fender rather than sitting separate. Other cosmetic modifications were made to the body and interior, and the engine size was increased. In 1955, after only three years in production the TF was discontinued, ending a long and at times glorious run which started with the TA in 1936.

Steve_S

Yoda
Re: go ahead & laugh

For reference...

MG TC
IMG_8297b.jpg

MG TD
IMG_2878.jpg

MG TF
IMG_2864.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You guys and your early MGs. They are what got me intrested in LBCs from way back.

clyderedmond

I have always loved the look of the T series vehicles, especially the TF. I believe there is an Australian outfit that markets a replica using a Miata for a donor. Nice, but more expensive than an original from what I recall. Back in the 1980's I built a BCW TD kit on a VW frame. I enjoyed it for about five years before the lack of a garage caused me to sell it.
Cheers,
Mike