• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Good for a laugh

M

Member 10617

Sitting here in the middle of a cold January, bad weather threatening, car sitting idle in my garage, and wishing I were out on the road, I need a good laugh. Perhaps you do too.

If you have a humerous photo of your or someone's Triumph, please post to lighten up the present "dark ages."

Here is my personal favorite. I call it: "Is that a toy car?"

Attachments

• 23923.jpg
    23923.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 462

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice one, Ed. Was expecting to watch 28 clowns climb out of it!

Mickey

OP
M

Member 10617

Mickey,

Ha! Ha! You made my morning! Very clever reaction.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry about the coffee up the nose. Hate it when that happens!

:cheers:
Mickey

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That is a *great* picture. It's how I feel just about every time I park my own car: always end up stuck in between two mega-mobiles, risking life, limb and deductible when I try to back out.

Tom

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, if those vehicles were in motion you'd have a good idea what its like to have a Triumph in Houston!

Country flag
LexTR3 said:
Sitting here in the middle of a cold January, bad weather threatening, car sitting idle in my garage, and wishing I were out on the road, I need a good laugh. Perhaps you do too.

If you have a humerous photo of your or someone's Triumph, please post to lighten up the present "dark ages."

Here is my personal favorite. I call it: "Is that a toy car?"

"Jim-Bob and Ray could never figure out why it was Fred that always left the club with the best looking women."
grin.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I don't have any such Triumph-related pictures, but somewhere I still have a picture I took in the late 1970s. It was taken in my parents' driveway, and it shows both my sister's '72 Honda 600 Coupe next to her then-husband's '49 Hudson Commodore 8. Very cute! :wink:

OP
V

vagt6

I entered my MG Midget in a local car show last summer, all American cars, most of them very large!

A few beautifully restored cars as well, including a 1936 Buick roadster worth over $100K. The show organizers dn't know what to do with my Midget, so it was placed between a tricked-out Jeep Wrangler (a hi-riser with HUGE tires, must have been 5 feet off the ground!) and a Nash Rambler in the "Other" Class.

You couldn't see the Midget sitting between these big cars until you were right on top of it. Some of the "purists" were heard making rude comments, and most didn't bother to approach the Midget.

However, I got the last laugh of the day because ALL the women LOVED the MG Midget! They "ooohed" and "wow'ed" it all day, usually a few girls ogling it all afternoon. This really PO'ed some of the American muscle car guys, and it was obvious!

I got a big kick out it, made my day!

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well at least you dont have to worry about door dings parked beside them now they would probable bust a window out if they opened the door hard

Hondo

OP
M

Member 10617

No.... I think the doors would have cleared the top of my car by a few inches!

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I wish I had gotten a pic, but I saw the same exact thing only an excursion between two pick ups. Kinda hard to believe, but Im guessing they were huge duelies that were lifted and had monster truck tires on them. It was a Target parking lot so I have no idea why on earth the both of them where there and parked to close together.

TR4nut said:
Yeah, if those vehicles were in motion you'd have a good idea what its like to have a Triumph in Houston!

Heck, if you were in DFW it would be safer probably to ride a motorcycle! I wanna drive my GT6, but I worried that no one will even see it. I mean look at the triumphs roofline. Compare it to where the other vehicles windows are. Wonder why they cant see you? Heck, my mustang is HUGE, bright red, and LOUD. But when the top is down its just as low, and even though Im pretty sure they didnt bother to look. I know that if they did, they probably wouldnt have seen me anyway. Since none of these people can park. Theres been several times when Ive had their side mirrors draped over my car.

vagt6 said:
I entered my MG Midget in a local car show last summer, all American cars, most of them very large!

However, I got the last laugh of the day because ALL the women LOVED the MG Midget! They "ooohed" and "wow'ed" it all day, usually a few girls ogling it all afternoon. This really PO'ed some of the American muscle car guys, and it was obvious!

I got a big kick out it, made my day!

As a girl I can probably understand why. 15-20 years ago no one really cared about these cars. Sure you had enthusiasts but they were people who loved them then, and continued to love them because they always had. It wasnt one of those "kids are gone, have extra cash, now its time to buy a car 1/3rd the price of my lexus" I honestly believe that they paint them with bright flashy colors to let people know that muscle cars are sports cars, not old people cars.

Now anyone who goes to at least 3 shows a year know how boring these domestics can be. Ford, Chevy, Mopar. They all look a like, and theyre everywhere. Heck, even driven on the streets, I see them all the time. Theyre not special. I mean, they are, but Ive seen WAY too many. You bring out ANYTHING different, youre gonna attract attention.

I remember once someone brought a french Alpine to a show. I had never seen one before. Despite being pretty ugly, it got a ton of attention and one first in its class. Why? Because 65% of the cars there were corvettes. And when you start going to the same shows you start seeing the same cars and same owners.

Although I do have a similar story. Its kinda hard to explain after bashing domestics, but I show my daily driver mustang. at one show I had a bunch of kids completely ignore a group of classic GTOs. They all ran right past them yelling sweet and approached my car to look closer. Then again, I guess a 20th century non classic in that town is a rare sight. And the car was older then them. But classic mustangs, modern mustangs, yawn. Yeah Im sure theyre all rare in some form or fashion... ...Ive just seen too many

Other story involved a woman pulling her husband away from a shelby cobra to look at mine. She really wanted to show him mine. He walked off, but she stayed. :smile:

OP
M

Member 10617

Had the same experience. I entered my TR3 in a local charity car show. Turns out it was the only roadster in the show, which was populated with muscle cars, hot rods, and model Ts, etc. The guys completely ignored the TR3, but the youngsters and women loved it.

Perhaps one problem is that I have removed the loud pipes that came with the car and put on normal pipes, and now it purrs rather than roars. But loud, in the opinion of most of these car owners, means powerful and fast! And cars have to be powerful and fast, n'est-ce pas?

.... Ironically, I bet I could beat them around a tight track.

And as for not being seen. I can relate to that. Back in 1960, I had a 1960 Bug-Eye Sprite. I always had to stop well behind cars at stop signs and stop lights because sometimes they decided to back up and didn't see me. Once I had to stand up and wave to catch the driver's attention.

I'm thinking of carrying a flag on a pole so I can wave it at the cars in front of me.... or perhaps a fog horn. I can just imagine the driver saying, "Yo, man! There's a semi behind me but I can't see it. It's invisible!"

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had the MGB GT out a couple of days ago,& ended up behind
an International CSX (I think)pickup.I think that's the biggest
mass-produced pickup ever made.It was Yellow,as is the GT.
When it stopped at a traffic light,I noticed that the roof
of the GT was the same height as the bottom of the tailgate & doors.

- Doug

Twosheds

Darth Vader
When I had just bought The Blue TR3 in 1980, I left it parked on the street with no tags. It was towed before I could move it to the garage I had rented.

I went to the impound lot to get he car. They had put it with the really abandoned vehicles; burned out vans and the like. He looked very out of place in between the huge rusty hulks.

I said to the impound lot guy, "It's his first offense and you put him in with the hardened criminals!"

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
LexTR3 said:
And as for not being seen. I can relate to that. Back in 1960, I had a 1960 Bug-Eye Sprite. I always had to stop well behind cars at stop signs and stop lights because sometimes they decided to back up and didn't see me. Once I had to stand up and wave to catch the driver's attention.

I'm thinking of carrying a flag on a pole so I can wave it at the cars in front of me.... or perhaps a fog horn. I can just imagine the driver saying, "Yo, man! There's a semi behind me but I can't see it. It's invisible!"

Reminds me of everytime I need to make a right turn. Apparently non around here knows that you're supposed to stop BEHIND the white line, not in front. Well sometimes the only way for me to see is to stop way far back, but then when I go it looks like I'm running a stop sign or light. Due to landscape and man made structures I normally can't do this. I have to pill forward as far as I can. Since I have the top down 9 months out of the year, I'll stand up in my vehicle to look over these monstrosities. Not sure how my seatbelt stayed on, and I got a bunch of crazy looks from other motorists, but the majority of the time they were to involved with their cell phone to notice. Oh, but one time I did get a big black truck to back up after watching me stand up.

I drive a 94 ford people! It's a giant compared to triumphs. I should not have to do this!!! What is we had pedestrians? Where are they supposed to walk? Watch if I don't have a light? Not only do I have to wait for them to leave (which is more difficult) Then when they are gone I have to wait for the next idiot to leave. After the fifth idea I have to risk my life and others. Almost had a Ferrari hit me because I knew the amount of braindead SUV owners was endless. And sadly if hit it would be MY fault!

Twosheds said:
I said to the impound lot guy, "It's his first offense and you put him in with the hardened criminals!"
Of course he did. It's more than 3 years old isn't it? How did that escape the crusher?

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
AngliaGT said:
I had the MGB GT out a couple of days ago,& ended up behind
an International CSX (I think)pickup.I think that's the biggest
mass-produced pickup ever made.It was Yellow,as is the GT.
When it stopped at a traffic light,I noticed that the roof
of the GT was the same height as the bottom of the tailgate & doors.

- Doug

As many lifted excursions that I have seen I was certain I'd see these everywhere. I only saw one and it was on display... ...apparently the business MADE these things!!! But I guess numbers were limited and prices made it only so that celebrities could own them. But when they first came out I could not believe they would allow normal class C drivers to drive them. I'm pretty sure truckers have some special training to drive their rigs. People have enough problems maneuvering the average truck/SUV. That's like giving a baby a loaded shot gun.