• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fuel pump problem

markclark1556

I wonder if anyone knows the PSI of the BJ7 fuel pump. I placed a new 4-6 psi pump on my car today and it "sounds" like it is pumping but it is not. I can hear gurling in the fuel line up at the carbs. I have checked that the lines from the tank to the pump and the line from the fuel pump to the carb is clear (they are). Any ideas? Thanks, Mark

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Pressure sounds corrrect. Remove the fuel line at the input to the carbs and see if you have good fuel flow there.--Fwiw--Keoke

OP
M

markclark1556

Thanks for the tip. Here is what I have : the steel fuel line ends just under the brake reservoir and attaches to a flexible fuel line that is covered with braided steel (this braided line continues up to an inline clear fuel filter and then on to the carbs. Becauuse I could see that there was no fuel in the filter, I discontected the braided line from the steel tube and turned on the key (turns on the pump) and I hear the gurgling but no fuel runs out. What do you think? Remember, I know that the steel line is clear as I was easily able to blow air thru it. Mark

RAC68

Darth Vader
Mark,

I believe Keoke is directing you to the feed line between the tank and pump. You indicated that it is clear but are the connections air tight?

It sounds like the pump is not drawing fuel from the tank and, therefore, has nothing to push. This can be caused by a line/tank blockage or an air leak from loose connections. I would check and tighten the line at the tank and pump. By the way, what pump are you using (Facet, SU, etc)?

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

OP
M

markclark1556

it is a Walbro FRD 1-1. In 1981 i put a Walbro Series 2100 in the car. I just got this one from Peterson. While I was working on the problem today I left the gas tank lid off the car. Do youthink that is the problem. If it is I will be very embarassed but its an easy fix

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Silly question here but are you sure you've got the input and output lines correctly on the pump? Just installed a new SU on a BJ8 and I had them crossed to start with . They weren't marked very well ( my excuse) but I changed them immediately after the new pump didn't prime. Kevin

Country flag
Just an off the wall thought. When I had a road side failure, the pump ran (ticked) but no fuel. I needed to blow into the filler tube to get pump primed. Just enough to get fuel up the tube to the SU pump. One quick blast. Maybe that's all it needs.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Not trying to cause you any embarrassment but do you have gas in the tank?

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Another possible solution is that there is a foreign object floating around in the tank and has blocked the outlet pipe to the pump !

A messy idea, how about removing the outlet pipe from the pump and trying again, If you can get another end to fit the pump outlet, fix a length of hose to it and lead it into an empty soda bottle - less mess.

:cheers:

Bob

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
:iagree: Take the gas tank out and hold it upside down and shake it. If anything is rattling around you've found your problem. I had a quarter size flat magnet come loose inside the tank and it worked it's way to the outlet pipe as mentioned.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
markclark1556 said:
Thanks for the tip. Here is what I have : the steel fuel line ends just under the brake reservoir and attaches to a flexible fuel line that is covered with braided steel (this braided line continues up to an inline clear fuel filter and then on to the carbs. Becauuse I could see that there was no fuel in the filter, I discontected the braided line from the steel tube and turned on the key (turns on the pump) and I hear the gurgling but no fuel runs out. What do you think? Remember, I know that the steel line is clear as I was easily able to blow air thru it. Mark
I have seen fuel pickup tube blocked in my own tank, intermittent, and fuel line with blockage. Both happened at different times and took a lot to troubleshoot and is the reason I have extra spare fuel pumps.

I suggest that you remove the tank and be sure it is clean. I removed mine and took it to a radiator repair place where they boiled it out, pressure tested it, and painted it. Very reasonable $$$. Next, I would disconnect all fuel lines and using an airhose, blow them out. You'll be surprised at what comes out. Be sure all lines are disconnected so as not to damage carbs and fuel pump.

RAC68

Darth Vader
The Walbro FRD 1-1 is a nice pump if your carburetors can handle the handle the pressure (up to 7 PSI). The inlet is at the smaller side of the pump and should be self priming to 24 inches. Have you tested the pump to be sure can pump? If it pumps fluid out of the car, I expect you either have a blockage in the inlet line or a loose connector on the inlet side.

Hope this helps,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey Jonny

What is a magnet doing inside the tank?

And assuming that the tank was steel, why did it not stick to the floor / side anyway?

Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob Hughes said:
Hey Jonny

What is a magnet doing inside the tank?

Some previous smacktard mate left it in there---- :laugh:

And assuming that the tank was steel, why did it not stick to the floor / side anyway?

Well after just slidin around for so long it just got too weak.

Bob

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
<span style="color: #FF0000">Well after just slidin around for so long it just got too weak</span>

But it should not have slid around in the first place :banana:

There is no accounting what chaps will leave around in the tank, one wonders why they were using a lose magnet in the first place.

:cheers:

Bob