• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Frozen Radiator Drain Tap Lever

hundredsixinsf

The lever on the drain tap under my 100-6's radiator is frozen in the closed position. I was going to try flushing my radiator, but I can't get the lever into the open position. Looks like new drain taps are no longer available. I'm guessing I should just unscrew the drain tap from the bottom of the radiator, then hit the lever with some penetrating oil?

Is the drain tap just screwed into the bottom of the radiator or is it welded in?

I'm guessing I'll have the same problem with the coolant drain tap in the block.

john_j

Jedi Trainee
The rotating part a drain taps are often tapered to give a better fit - does yours have a spring on the bottom to keep it tight?

If you, you might be able to get it to turn by tapping it upwards to loosen it, rather than just turning it.

I think normally drain taps are screwed in, so you should be able to unscrew it.

OP
H

hundredsixinsf

Not sure if it has a spring on the bottom, but I don't think so. I'll try to take a photo of it. I think it's just frozen solid from years of storage. I'll try to tap the lever upwards as well. I was trying to pull the lever downward.

Randy_Gay

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
there should be a little spring - it might be covered in muck. It might be best to remove and soak the tap - the lever can break easily. Work it a little at a time til it frees up. You could also hit it with a wire brush.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
As others have said, it's easy to break the handle trying to tap it with force (been there, done that). Since the mating surfaces are conical the spring applies pressure to prevent leaks. Use penetrating oil and then tap carefully on the end that has the spring. You should use this 'gentle persuasion' technique until you can see/feel the part move when you hit the spring end. Once you get it 'broken loose' you can then turn the lever by hand. If it is corroded, you should remove the cotter pin, spring, washer and disassembe the valve. You can then clean up the surfaces with 600 wet sandpaper and use a small bit of anti-seize on assembly.

Removing an old valve from the radiator can be difficult too because of corrosion. Don't use too much force or the threaded insert can spin requiring a trip to the radiator shop (another hard lesson learned /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif )

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes 100-6 the drain tap is screwed into a brass bushing in the bottom of the radiator. My advice is not to try and free the valve attached to the radiator, remove it take to the bench where it can be safely dismantled and serviced.-Fwiw--Keoke