• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An October Drive. a photo for those of you in the frozen NE...

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Rather than show you a picture of me driving the MGB with the top off tomorrow while enjoying 70 degree weather for some New Years car run;
I present Healey Rick, enjoying his beautiful V-8 on the way to a sumptuous lunch in late October. Happy New Year, guys.
Chris...

Attachments

• Healey Rick driving in October.jpg
    Healey Rick driving in October.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 165

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No chance of a top down drive here today . its a balmy -15f this morning (thats -28c for the metric types) either way its FREAKIN COLD !!!!!!!
Happy new year Healey guys .

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Healey Nut

Thought I was all alone up here in The Big Igloo. Nice to have some company. Been doing the Snowblower Waltz since late November. Happy New Year to all from Canada!

Cheers
Dave (Ottawa Ontario)

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick,

Cheers to the new year! I've always loved that image of DMH. Any idea where I can get a high resolution of that? I want to make a poster of that for my workshop with the caption: "I don't always drive a sports car, but when I do, I prefer Austin-Healey." For those of us on this forum, I'd suspect that DMH is certainly the most interesting man in the world.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hugh,

All I know is it was a Calvert Canadian Whiskey ad featuring "Men of Distinction" that was run in some '50s magazines. Great idea for a poster though. One of my favorite images as well. I was lucky enough to meet Donald and buy him a scotch, so it has a special meaning for me. And yes, certainly one of the most interesting men in the world.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hey Rick,
Well, I did not buy DMH a scotch, but I did meet him in 1977. The national Healey meet was in little New Market, Virginia that year. Those who know can remind me if it was called Conclave at that time. I just don't remember. He was very patient with us all. I was only 26 at the time, but he spent some time with me and answered a few questions as I recall. He signed my little blue Healey handbook and my car title and I went home elated. Over the years I have also had it signed by Gerry Coker, Bic Healey, Roy Jackson Moore, John Chatham, and a few others.

What was the occasion where you met our beloved Mr. Healey? Was he surrounded by the fairer sex, as he was when I first saw him?

Lin

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Lin,

I met him a couple of times, the first was at the 1980 Cape Cod Meet, which also happened to be the first time I displayed my bugeye after its restoration. Other members of the Northeast Region of the AHCA got to know him quite well. He was quite a gracious man and I was very surprised how pleased and surprised he seemed to be over the attention being paid to him and his cars. And yes, I seem to recall he was especially happy over the attention from the ladies.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would also like that poster of DMH.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've always loved that image of DMH. Any idea where I can get a high resolution of that?

Keep an eye on eBay -- I've picked up a bunch of original Bugeye ads (pages from old magazines) on eBay over the years. Someone will be selling the ad for a few dollars.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I've got one of the original ads and also one of Don Rould's reprints of it (about the same size as the original; a little smaller actually, but with better colors and contrast). There was no such thing as "high resolution" in those days. It's just a dot-matrix image from a magazine. You can make it as many PPI as you want and the resolution doesn't improve. My original is annotated 4/11/55 and is probably from LOOK or LIFE, one of the large-format mags of the day.

DMH was not fond of that ad and regretted the association of whiskey and his cars. When Don R. reprinted the ad photo - just the photo - DMH saw it was was very unhappy. The Austin-Healey Association of Southern California was going to sell them as a promotion, but after DMH expressed his displeasure, Don R. then hid them for many years, occasionally giving one away here and there, on the sly. That's how I got mine. I later purchased an original ad from some dealer of such things.

The image that HealeyRick posted above in this thread is actually about as good as they get. Right-click on it and save it to your computer and make a print from that. The original magazine ad won't yield anything better.

By the way, if interest in alcohol and women and Healeys makes someone "fascinating," I can introduce you to lots of fascinating characters - hardly know any guys any different!

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey Healey Nut

Thought I was all alone up here in The Big Igloo. Nice to have some company. Been doing the Snowblower Waltz since late November. Happy New Year to all from Canada!

Cheers
Dave (Ottawa Ontario)

Hey Dave I see you have a 62BT7 we need to get together and compare notes . I have a 62 BT7 Tri-Carb as my next project , original factory hard top full matching numbers . PM me pls .

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Speaking from 'Warmer climes', the thermometer reached 43 degrees Celsius yesterday.
And yet a bunch of 'Global Warming' scientists trapped in sea-ice in the Antarctic had to be rescued by helicopter because the ice was so thick two ice-breakers couldn't get to them! They could have waited for the spring thaw, but that's about nine months away.
As you say over there: 'Go figure'.
Alwyn

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Nice picture...do you ever make it to Bali? I usually leave the Chicago area in the late fall season and retreat to Bali to avoid the cold winters here. This year I stayed in Chicago and am paying the price with sub zero temps and steady snow fall with my Healey hibernating in the garage. Global warming...LOL I guess you can make people believe anything if you beat them down enough! I call it "weather" same as my father did! Changes from day to day hour to hour year to year age to age! It always did and always will!

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
New Forest Centre have Reasonable Weather Wednesdays over here, generally April - October, this year I was asked if I would like to join them for a 29 December jaunt, due to a window of good weather, in amongst all the rain that we have been getting. Sadly, decease and pestilence has over taken the household so we could not make it. Having said that, we do not experience the temperature levels that you guys get in some parts of America and Canada.

:cheers:

Bob

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G'day Drambuie,
I have not visited Bali although I know it is a popular holiday destination for Australians. Because we live in a sub-tropical climate my wife & I tend to escape to cooler places, like Tasmania. Last September we had a great holiday touring New Zealand. All the snow capped mountains were a delight to our eyes.
Thanks for the compliment about the picture of me in my 100. That was actually taken in Victoria on the Great Ocean Road.
Alwyn

Last edited:

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Alwyn and Bob...consider yourself very fortunate.. The weather here in Chicago is sub zero -16F Or 26.667C. Blew the connecting rod on the snow blower, went right thru the case! I won't attempt to start the Healey!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 97