• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Frozen Bonnet Release Despite Warm Weather!

Midgey

Took the cover off the Midget this morning. Saw white around the hood release and a screw on the panel nearby. Looked just like the dried battery acid residue. Bonnet release is FRRRROOOZEN, despite pulling, etc. Sprayed WD40. No deal. I know the battery is just above this area, so I assume somehting interesting is happening in the engine compartment I now cannot get to. Ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Moose33

Jedi Hopeful
try using Cyclo penetrating oil (available at least at Napa). I used to use WD, and then PB blaster, but now I swear by this stuff. spray it on heavy and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes.

and, if you can get a helper, sometimes (it sounds silly) it helps to have one person lightly pushing down on the front of your bonnet as you pull your cable.

no promises, just a couple of thoughts.

R6MGS

Yoda
If it's a rubber bumper car you might be able to reach through the front with your hand and open the latch from there.....just a thought, I've never actually tried this.

Zack

Radford

Jedi Knight
Not having a RB Midget to try this on I tried it on a RB B. It dosen't work on the B. Yhe mesh grill is in the way of getting to the cable.

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
lol Radford,...I finally glued in a piece of carpeting.

Everytime I go to do another,..the mechanic raises the lift to work on something. But I'm so eager to hear the new engine,..that i can hold of on the carpeting for a litlle bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
M

Midgey

After action report on the above. Thanks to all who responded. Nothing would loosen the hood pull (PB Blaster was all that was available - several treatments failed). Also, as this is a 74 CB Midget, no way to put hand through grill. Then noticed that hood release cable runs through left wheel well. Yo! Clipped cable with shears at the grommet entrance to engine compartment. Then, unwrapped cable sheath and pulled the inner cable with wrench and voila - hood popped. The battery acid problem was caused by, gee, the battery leaking. But here's the interesting part. There is a tiny pin sized bolt which protrudes into the left side of the battery shelf. The battery (a pretty new one) had evidently been rubbing against this pin bolt until the bolt finally worked a hole in the battery casing and caused a pin hole leak. There was acid all over the "floor" of the battery shelf. Rinsed it with lots of water. I'll need and new battery and will have to replace the hood release cable. I put a big rubber grommet on the left side of the battery shelf to prevent recurrence.

Anyone else ever see this pin bolt penetration of the battery phenomenon? Any brilliant tips for replacing the hood release cable? Adios from Albuquerque. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
I think it would be a good idea to re-rinse all areas that the acid could get to with a STRONG baking soda solution. Just water is not good enough!

Guinn