• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

directional signals

timH

Freshman Member
New to the forum and need some put. A simple matter, but can't sort it out.

I have a 61 tr3a. First, the front/rear turn signals work. What doesn't work is the left directional light on the dash (red), also the ignition light. It does not flash as the right side directional signal does. If the bulb was bad it wouldn't light up. If the flasher was bad, nothing would work. There are only two wires under the dash which are secure.

Where should I look?

Tim

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Tim. Welcome to BCF.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, note that there is only *one* indicator light on the dash panel for the turn signals. It flashes (yellow) whether you turn left or right.

The red light is the ignition light. Should only be on when the ignition is turned on but the engine isn't running (or running when the engine is running *very* slowly).

Do you have an owner's guide?

Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the green light doesn't flash when you are turning left, I would first try replacing the turn signal bulbs and making sure the front bulb has the bright filament wired to the turn signals.

Different flashers do different things, but they are supposed to indicate by some means when the current draw is too low.

The above "maintenance manual" is definitely worth downloading and is the correct edition for your later car. The wiring diagram is substantially correct, but shows the control head connections for a RHS car instead of LHS.

But it is really more of an "owner's manual"; you might want to think about picking up a "Workshop manual" as well.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYWZiN2VlZGMtNTkxMi00NGUzLWE4NzMtMGRkODRkYzU3MDU1

OP
T

timH

Freshman Member
Thanks guys for the input. I think I became a real dunce over this issue. I finally got the car on the road after a 5yr hiatus and I don't think my memory is as good as it was. My initial thought process was: turn the directional lever to the right, the gr light flashes. Turn the lever to the left, the red (ignition) light flashes. From what I have read, that's not the case. Only the gr light flashes regardless turning left or right. I swear the red light flashed. What can I say, a senior moment perhaps?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not to worry, happens to all of us.

BrainFart.gif