• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No turn signals

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
My car sat for two weeks, and when I went to drive it again, the turn signals were not working. I checked and there is no power at the lights. I then pulled the flasher, placed a wire between the leads and still no lights. Would this have to be a turn indicator switch problem at this point?
Kevin

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
It could be, but it also could be a hazard flasher switch problem. Try working that switch on-off-on-off a few times and see what happens.

Of course, it could also be a fuse, either blown or just with a wee bit of corrosion or loose!

Last edited:
OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think I have checked everything up the turn signal switch connections, and checked what you suggested, Andrew. It's getting late, and I am tired of using a flashlight. I will go at it again Sunday, but how do you remove the switch itself (it it comes to that)? It looks like I need to remove the two screws holding the switch in, and then loosen the metal band on the steering wheel to drop the plate covering the wiring - does this sound right, or is there more to it?

I don't understand how are the emergency flashers tied into the turn indicators? They are on different flashers.
Kevin

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Kevin, check out your wiring diagram and you can see how it all is connected and I know , it's just weird.

I would take the cover off under the steering wheel first and see if you have power in and out of there.

Wayne

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kevin- did you pull the right flasher? There are two, one on the left fender for the emergency flashers and one under the passenger footwell.... this is the one that controls the turn signals. You probably got the right one, but just in case...

D

DougF

Pull the switch as an absolute last option. Clean all of your connections and grounds. Apply dielectric to these points. This will assure they should be corrosions free for several years. Make sure there is good contact, etc. You can spray a good plastic safe contact cleaner into the switch. Make sure to follow instruction as some are power on and some aren't. Do a visual check at the back of the switch to make sure a wire didn't break off. Clean the blade connectors at the fuse block.

D

DougF

You should be able to check the switch for power in and out with it in place.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Kevin,

Wondering if this issue is related to your fuse issue? You said you had one getting hot but not blowing.

Scott

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
My old fuse box was a problem, and I did replace it with the correct fuses yesterday. I did check the flasher on the passenger side, and it is good. I was getting tired and should have stopped last night - I couldn't see well and busted two of the wires at the switch. I was just trying to see the colors of the wires so I could do as Doug suggested. Now I have no choice but to pull it. I do have a spare. My high quality Chinese continuity and test lights were not working, so I will be getting new ones and going at it again today. Any tips on removing the switch?

I can find the turn indicator portion, but not the emergency flasher in my wiring diagram - does anyone know what the emergency flasher is referred to? My emergency flasher rocker switch is either dirty or oxidized. I have to rock the switch back and forth to get the flashers to work. Andrew mentioned that the emergency flasher could effect the turn signals. I don't see how from the wiring diagram. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Kevin

D

DougF

I had success reconnecting those wires using a low temp silver solder. Those connections are fragile....advice that is a bit late.

D

DougF

Removing the switch is a matter of removing the two screws, disconnecting the wires ate the butt connectors under the dash, and pulling them through. The installation of course is the opposite, but a bit more difficult feeding wires.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You can alao disassemble the fuse box and give it a good cleaning. Did it on my '6 when I first got it, and most of the electrical gremlins were dispatched...

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
When I had my turn signal issue this summer, as many people on this forum suggested, check the grounds - it turned out to be my problem.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can find the turn indicator portion, but not the emergency flasher in my wiring diagram - does anyone know what the emergency flasher is referred to? My emergency flasher rocker switch is either dirty or oxidized. I have to rock the switch back and forth to get the flashers to work. Andrew mentioned that the emergency flasher could effect the turn signals. I don't see how from the wiring diagram.
Kevin, it would help if you would remind us (me) what car you are working on. I lose track, and they aren't all the same.
UNTITLED.JPG

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ah, thanks, Don. The 69s were a bit strange, here's a clip from Dan's diagram:
UNTITLED.JPG
In this case, power comes in on the green wire (upper left) from the fuse block, and goes through the turn signal flasher first, then through the hazard switch before going to the turn signal switch. If the hazard switch doesn't have good contact between terminals 3 & 4, the turn signals won't work.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What ever you do Kevin. Don't throw away that hazard switch
Hens teeth!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P