• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crankshaft Vibration Dampner

LanceLyon

Jedi Hopeful
The vibration dampner on the generator pully has seperated, leaving me a rubber "do-nut" that came off of the end of the assembly in pretty good condition, and a large metal ring that is captured on one side by the pully, and on the other side by a flange that appears to be bolted onto the pully.

As I look at it, I assume that the fan and water pump have to come out to get to it. Does the radiator come out as well?

Once off of the engine, can this unit be re-assembled? Moss lists the original damper as N/A and suggests a $405 replacement. The $405 seems a bit steep. If I cannot refurbish the one that came apart, how rough does the engine run without it? My shoestring budget doesn't allow for a lot of costly replacements!

Country flag
L.P. would be the one to answer this question. But since I haven't seen him post here since I arrived, I'll fill in...

He had driven his BJ8 over to the hospital where I just had my gall bladder removed (it was an "operation" back in 1988). On his way home, about a block from his house, the dampener came apart. When it did, it broke off the nose of the crankshaft. Instant reason to overhaul the engine! Fortunately he had another crank on hand.

If you can't afford a vibration dampener, you don't want to lay your car up waiting on a new engine.

I wouldn't put any faith in a relaminated vibration dampener. The $400.00 one is on my list of things to buy too!

John Loftus

Darth Vader
LL,

My understanding is that you need the vibration damper ... otherwise you risk major damage at higher rpm's.

I searched around on the Healey list and came up with the following vendors that refurbish the dampers. Sounds like the cost would be in the $100 range. If you search on the internet you can read about others experiences by going this route and it sounds like lots of people with older american iron get it done this way. Can't imagine they would be in business very long if there process didn't work but no personal experience on this so do your own research, check guarantees, etc.
----

Damper Doctor, 1055 Parkview, Redding, CA 96001-3314, PH: 530-246-2984; e-mail: damperdoc@aol.com; https://www.damperdoctor.com/

Winslow MFG 5700 Dean Ave. Raleigh, NC 27604 919-790-9713

Damper Dudes 5509 Cedars Rd # 2 Redding, CA 96001-4466 (800) 413-2673 (530) 244-7225

Cheers,
John

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Don`t under any circumstances try to run without a crank dampner. you will destroy the engine before you you can go through the gears. If you think 400.00 is expensive check out the cost of a new engine and it all falls into perspective. I have new dampners on both my engines. Skip