• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cortina steering box question.

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Hey folks. Can anyone tell me if the Mk1 and the Mk2 Cortina boxes are interchangeable? Seems I need one, and if Mk2's will fit I can broaden my search.

Thanks Mark

swift6

Yoda
You know, I think there is at least something in common with them. Somewhere around here I have a paper on how to rebuild the steering box. It was given to me by a west coast MkI LoCort racer when I asked him for advice on my MkII 1600GT. Don't remember his name off the top of my head though.

Then from the Kim Henson book... "The steering box design for the MkII models is similar to the MkI, but on the MkII's adjustment of the rocker shaft end float is by an adjusting screw and locknut."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Unfortunately similar doesn't mean interchangeable..

I thought about rebuilding it, but finding hard parts will be almost impossible. Right now driving the car is like driving on the head of a marble, it darts uncontrolably from side to side, and doesn't return to center. EVERYTHING else checks out fine ( as it should as everything is new ) and the alignment is spot on.

A replacement box looks to be in order..

How close are the copycat cars? Like Datsuns n such? How upset would you be if a Nippon part actually fit?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Datsun's are rack & pinion - Cortinas aren't.
At least not until the MKIII.

- Doug

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looked in both my (MKI & MKII)parts manuals.
Doesen't look like they interchange - different parts
number prefixes.

- Doug

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
You may be able to adapt a Mk1 Capri rack and pinion,
as they were based on the Cortina chassis, If you need
measurements, let me know, I have a rack out of a '74...

SteveL

swift6

Yoda
I know that similar doesn't mean interchangeable but it seems that the difference was how the box was adjusted more than interchangability issues.

That sort of R&P conversion takes the whole subframe to accomplish the task as I understand it. Which I believe would also require a different sump. I've seen that conversion talked about in Classic Ford before.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Yes the sump would be part of the problem. I believe the rack fits infront of the crossmember on the Capri, where as my steering gear is behind the rack. Thus if i put the rack where it will actually connect with the control arms ( behind the crossmember ) the steering will turn the wrong way ( right turn on the wheel will give a left turn at the front wheels..) The rack would have to be flipped around end for end, which would then be wrong for a LHD car. I could use a RHD rack and flip it, but the angle on the steering shaft would be a bit off ( I guess a universal joint would accept a bit of offset..)

My friend has done the rack conversion on his 105E, and wound up putting in a custom crossmember and because he is using a Zetec, the pan is ok. I think he used a VW rack, but i'm not sure. He sure spent a lot of time on it!

Still, the stock box is just fine ( except when they explode or whatever like mine did..) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

pigpen

Freshman Member
Before you do anything rash, check the sway bar. If the bushes are worn, and if they haven't been replaced recently they are, the bar will slide around in its mounts. I had the same problem you described. No one could tell me what the problem was. I replaced everything. I mentioned the problem to Dave Bean when shoppping for other parts and he shed the light about the moving sway bar. He sent me a couple of collars that positively and permanently located the bar. End of problem. Spend a a couple of bucks and see if it works for you!
Tom

SteveL

Jedi Trainee
Yeah, same goes for the Capri, when the bushings for
the ARB wear out, the bar slides side to side, as does
the rack and pinion, I fixed mine with an additional
mount for the ARB, with collars on each side of the
bushing... I bought my collars from Grainger...
I fixed the rack movement problem by welding a bracket
to the tube so it couldn't move side to side...

SteveL

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Sway bar to frame bushes are new ( last year anyway ) but I'll check them again just to be sure.. Thanks.

pigpen

Freshman Member
I found that there are (were) a couple of sway bar bushes available. I wasn't happy with the quality of the ones I bought. They didn't seem any better tnan the ones I was replacing. It wasn't really clear to me if, in fact, the bar had been shifting from side to side. However, the addition of the collars stopped the problem. To be honest, the entire steering set up was quite abused when I started to isolate the problem. Although I replaced the bushes and links in the whole system, as well as the struts, the steering didn't feel much different until I located the sway bar with the collars. All this Cortina rambling makes me nostalgic...
Tom
Sunbeam Imp
Austin A35

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
Type R:

Please post pics of your buddie's 105!

Have you been to 105 Speed.com?

OP
TypeRboy

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Yes we both have.. I will take my didgital with me next time I'm over there.. I think the car is still on the rotissery though.. Still quite some work away from roadworthy. I think Gary has too many projects, but he hasn't seen/driven my Cortina yet, so I'm going to buzz over there and torture him a bit. Might shame him into getting going. He is about an hours drive from my place.

He did give me a 4.125 diff last week that I installed. Really helps with first gear on the close ratio tranny.