• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

condensation under the rubber mats

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My car is protected from weather but is exposed to temperature changes. Weather here is currently cold and wet. I noticed that under the floor mats the carpet is soggy wet from condensation. This must be how the floor pans rust out. My car has 6 year old paint, so I presume the floor will not collapse tomorrow, but this can't be good.

Should I get rid of the rubber mats and maybe replace with something that breathes better? Or make a habit of removing the rubber mats regularly?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Tom,

I have a somewhat similar situation: a rented garage that has a good exhaust fan but no heating, so while there is air flow there is no temp control.

I remove the rubber mats when the car is parked for more than a brief period for exactly the reason that you mention - possible condensation and resulting rust of metal and rot of carpets.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rubber floormats in any kind of car is a super bad idea.

In fact this is one reason why Jaguar for many years used wilton wool carpets - the backing is a very rigid but also very porous sisal/wicker type material which allows moisure to escape. It's a complete b***h to install and make look nice, but it'll keep your floorboards rust free. Unfortunately Karvel used in Healeys has rubber backing.

If I were you I would take the rubber mats out and slap them aside the barn to create enough racket to chase the bats out of the belfry because that's about all them mats is good fer.

It's a heck of alot cheaper to replace your underfoot carpets every few years or so, than replacing the floor boards.

You live in St. Louis = humid climate = water under the rubber = rusty floorboards.

Cheers!

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They are ok for keeping the floor clear of muck and bullets though. For my money, and if we are talking about the easily removed variety, I would just leave them out when the car is not in use, and pop them in when you are going out.

A bit like false teeth really LOL.

Regards

Bob

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
OK, Bob:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]They are ok for keeping the floor clear of muck and bullets though.[/QUOTE]

<u><span style="color: #009900"><span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>Enquiring</span></span></span></u> minds NEED to know just <span style="color: #3333FF">WHAT</span> kind of "rubber" mats do YOU have that "protect" against <span style="color: #CC0000">BULLETS</span> ??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazyeyes.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
Ed

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bullets? I used to drive my '65 BJ8 on my quail and pheasant hunts with the Brittany Spaniels sitting on the rear shelf....gads, I cannot believe I used to do that!!! This was in the seventies - years ago, when she was my only ride. The shotgun shells used to roll around inside on the floor mats....not quite "bullets" though! But they did work well for the mud! I have to find the pics I took of the dogs sitting in the back and the pheasants on the fender... Still cannot believe I used to use the Healey to go hunting!