• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Comments: GT6 For Sale - Danville, VA

dklawson

Yoda
I spent the last weekend of September at VIR near Danville, VA. While at the track I noticed that the folks from Southside British
https://www.southsidebritish.com/
had brought a 1968 GT6 on a trailer. The car is complete but in pieces. It's a barn find that a previous owner started taking apart for painting. According to the story, the car has been off the road since '72. I'm not interested in the car but had some questions about it that I'm hoping you guys can answer. If you're interested... visit the link above and write the seller.

The carbs on the car were not the same 150CDs that are on my GT6. These carried an emissions sticker and were connected with a sheet metal, horizontal lever-type linkage instead of the simple horizontal connecting shaft that's on my car. Were emission carbs and this linkage standard in '68?

The car is on wire wheels with octagon nuts instead of the eared knock-offs. Would this have been standard that early? I thought the octagon nuts came later.

For those who are curious, the seller was asking $4k. Way too rich for my budget. Even if all the parts ARE there (as the seller says), reassembly and re-painting will cost thousands. It's a shame really as the body looked to be in spectacular shape apart from surface rust where the PO had started prepping the car.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Possibly the carbs are from a GT6+ (1969 or later)? Same could be so for the octagonal nuts. But it's also possible that both could've been standard if the care were built late enough in 1968. (It WAS definitely a "Mk1" GT6, right?)

And yeah, I'd have to agree that $4k is far too high for a car in that condition, even if the body is dead straight and rock solid.

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
The car was definitely a late Mk1, no gill slits and black interior.

Our GT6 belonged to my father-in-law and it was a labor of love to restore it. I don't believe it's possible to restore a GT6 with the intent of selling it for profit. I figure there are probably running and painted GT6s out there selling for the amount the seller was asking.

BTW Andrew, did you see my follow up to your post on the Healey forum? LH drill bits can be purchased from Northerntool.com

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I agree that the carbs and safety knock-offs are more than likely from a later model. Someone really needs to create a reference like Thomason's fine book for US spec Spit/GT6 cars.

Last year, a beautiful and original (except for late 70s respray) 2nd owner valencia blue '68 GT6 Mk I with wires and overdrive sold on eBay for $6K. $4k for a basket case is probably too high unless the car has a unique history.

(I am contemplating putting a bumper sticker on my 4A that says, "My other Triumph is a GT6!") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
After I restored our GT6 my father-in-law was very pleased with the result and started talking about how many "thousands" the car must be worth now. I tried to explain to him that in mint condition (at the time) the car might go for $5k but I thought its real value was only about $3500. He didn't believe me.

The shame is... I made the mistake of totalling up my receipts and know I spent upwards of $6k to get the car back on the road. Like I said, it was a labor of love that was not undertaken for profit. I chose NOT to add up my receipts on the Mini. However, going into that project I made the decision to buy a car that would be worth more than the cost of its restoration.

Eleven

Freshman Member
I've got one of those lever linkages in a parts box, I think I am going to use it on the SU's I am putting on as it extends the base linkage to the center of the carbs. As far as restoration vs cost on a GT6? I have way too much money in this car but a great set of tools that I didn't have before starting. I could throw the thing away and be ahead now!!! Someday I'll get a car to restore, this is an autocross toy and something to fool around with. Besides, it's a total gas to drive.

V

vagt6

Hey, DK, the cardinal rule of GT6 restoration: NEVER add up your receipts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

I've restored two and have highly detailed repair/restoration logbooks with every receipt, date of repair, etc. I've never added them up.

However, with EBay and the internet, the probability of someone paying $15,000 for a well-restored GT6 is greater than ever. Certainly, a nice GT6 is "worth" that much.

At least it is to me . . .

G

I attended the recent VTR regional convention in Irving, TX, where the GT6 was the highlighted car. I must say that there were some pretty fine GT6s at the show and I am sure that some of these babies were in the 12-15K range. The GT6 is truly a unique car that holds a strong niche amongst enthusiasts. I can see where their values will only continue to rise.

Bill

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif They're worth it to me, too.

I think, at the moment, the GT6 is a sleeper and prices are reasonable for good original or restorable cars, but they will go up. The price of a restoration alone makes the price go above $10K.

All of sudden, I want to get back to my GT6 restoration...