• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question - several, and progress and comments

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is the tac gearbox only supose to have oil in it?

What DOT is the brake fluid that does not eat paint? Any down sides? With all new cylinders will I have probs with seals etc?

I found an 1100 exhaust manifold that looks much like the 1275, not with the strange plate on the top like the 948 one but uses the 948 exhaust system. ie no plate to exhaust pipe. 10$, still have not decided which one I am going to use but have a choice.

Next week I am going to try to put a new choke cable on a heater switch. Seems doable but maybe I will screw it up, Hehe. Oh well, no choke cable now so. At least the electric switch works.

Now have all the bits for the windsheld washer pump and mounting. Also all the bits for the mounting for the turn signal light and such behind the dash. The remaining switches and such I can get new.

Have a nasty old steering wheel now that I am going to clean good and give a coat or so of plastic paint. Will use this till I get to the interior and spring for a nice new one, wooden, etc.

Painted up my new rebuilt master cylinder, looks nice and I bet works correctly. Will be quite a few till I get to that but one less job.

Nice soft car cover came yesterday. I will protect my paint etc., etc., from day one even inside.

Rained a bit here last nite, first time in three months, hot and humid, not nice at all outside. In my next life I am going to have an air conditioned garage and workshop.

Can you tell it is now too hot to be outside and it is only 9:30. However I have accomplished quite a bit since I returned from North Alabama even if it has only been small bits. Got to be ready to start assembling when Miss Agatha comes home. Would be a real pain to have to stop a stem and clean something up or wait on paint to dry. I know I will be waiting on parts for ever as I will only order in easy stages as I need for assembly, got to keep wife happy you know.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Taz

Jedi Trainee
Hey Jack
Go to a good hardware store, find PC 40 I think that it.

Its a 2 part epoxy filler, comes in 2 cans. mix fill cracks in the wheel, sand smooth, paint with urathane black paint ( from a spray can )

You will be so proud that you might not want that wood wheel.

I have done this to many american car steering wheels, should work on an english car to.

Carl

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
1100 manifold ran out of center & folded 90 degrees to rear perpendicular to the exhaust flanges for a transverse mounted engine....will that work for a normally aligned engine?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack, the 1275 manifold is a better choice, merely for the better method of attaching the pipe to the manifold. I've never been a fan of the split clamp of the earlier style manifolds. The integrity of all of the exhaust system hangers is much more critical with the early setup, particularly the one at the very front that is mounted to the bell housing.
But, if you go with the early style, the 1098 manifold is the one to use.
Jeff

Country flag
Brake fluid...Silicon brake fluid does not dissolve paint. It is DOT5, but not all DOT5 is silicon. I've used it for 4yrs with no ill effects. Others may/will disagree. However, do not get the stuff on a surface you are about to paint. It takes forever to get cleaned off.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm sorry I have a 948, a 1098, and a 1200 at this point.

I just am not sure which way I am going to go. The outlet on the 948 and the 1098 are in the same place and pointed the same way with the silly connection.

I just can't make up my mind, oh well this too shall pass.

DOT 5 silicon it is then. Don't want to screw up Miss Agathas paint.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
As for a heater shut-off, I just bought one from the MGB and made an adapter (round plate, 1/2" thick with 5 holes for water and bolts). Doesn't look stock but looks OK, works and is relatively cheap ($39 for the valve from VB)
Bill

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jack:

I have an extra 1275 manifold if you are interested.

Patrick

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bill, Jack is referring to the Bugeye heater switch, which is a combination of the fan switch, and the cable to operate the air flow control. They've been unavailable for at least 10 years. There was just one on eBay that went for $76.00.
Jack, lawn mower throttle cable works for the cable replacement, but you need to melt one of the ends to form a small ball on it. It's a simple matter to pry the old cable end up from the slot in the switch rod, remove it, and slide the new cable in place. Leave the new one long, and trim to fit after installation.
Repairing the electrical portion involves careful disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly.
Piece of cake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh, so that's how it is done, thanks. I have not really messed with it yet but the electrics work on it. Will proceed carefully. Would really like to fix it. After all I paid 10 bucks for it.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well, that was easy enough. cable is out. Will stop by the local bike shop tomorrow and see what I can find.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Tony, Jack could be talking about a 1098 Sprite manifold, often referred to as a 1100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting....around here we call everything that's not in the little MG1100 Sports Sedan a 1098, keeping the 1100 designation for that particular car....guess its not universal!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think what I need is not a bike cable, what it is is an old time choke cable. Push and pull both. Solid inter core with a twisted outside.

May even need to do some searching, someone must make this kind of cable somewhere someplace.

Country flag
Yup, I think someone metioned a lawn tractor throttle cable. Sometimes the Generic fixit section at your auto parts store will have them too.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack is it the entire cable, housing and all that's gone, or just the inner cable? I've got some stuff here that will work, but any good lawn and garden place should have it. Or, a cheap choke cable, as you mention. I've never tried to replace the outer jacket. I'll have to investigate the technique tomorrow after work.
Jeff

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, going to try auto store first then the lawn tractor folks then the web.