• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Chrome Maintenance

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm interested in the methods or products that folks regularly use to maintain the chrome on their cars. How often should one be using chrome polish.

Thanks.

Art

OP
af3683

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I had my bumpers re-chromed a few years ago and have not put any cleaner on them since. They appear to be a bit dull and I'm looking to bring that shine back. I'm not sure if I should be using a chrome polish as I know polishes are abrasive. I'm also interested in a decent carnuba wax for the car.

Art

onlyoneowner

Freshman Member
I googled 'how to polish/restore chrome a few weeks ago and a number of the replies suggested crinkling up aluminum foil, bright side out, wetting it and rubbing. It didn't scratch and did a great job. It's inexpensive too. There was some very minor pitting on one piece and apparently there's some kind of chemical reaction from the wetted foil that neutralized that as well. Just a thought.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I had the rear bumper and bumper bolts replated for my 1933 Chevrolet just after I bought the car in 1971 for the amazing cost of $38 for all 3 pieces. I still have the receipt.

The only thing I have ever used on it is good old turtle wax and it looks as good as the day I got it back from the plater.

I just took the tail lights and exterior door handles (6 pieces) in to be plated for my TR4 last monday and the cost will be $625 for a show chrome job.

One thing that will kill a car and chrome is humidity, so I have kept a dehumidifier in my garage set at 40% for years.

I have heard about the aluminum foil also, but never plan on trying it.

Visit my new and improved personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Long time local chrome shop told me the best is Bon Ami, whatever that is, and assuming I spelled it right.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Late to the party as usual, but I've been using baking soda to "clean" chrome for a zillion years. Like Bon Ami, it doesn't scratch, but does remove any oxidation, road dust, etc. Wet the chrome, sprinkle baking soda on surface, rub with damp sponge, rinse.

I've also used the aluminum foil technique for removing very slight rust or pitting on chrome. Semi-successful - but cheaper than a new chrome job.

Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Bon Ami -- 'Hasn't Scratched Yet'. I always have some on the shelf in the garage.

For metal polish I have been using Maas brand with good results (though I mostly polish aluminum with it).

I had the rear bumper and bumper bolts replated for my 1933 Chevrolet just after I bought the car in 1971 for the amazing cost of $38 for all 3 pieces. I still have the receipt...

Now I know the best place to get chrome plating done --- 1971.

toysrrus

Yoda
I had my bumpers re-chromed a few years ago and have not put any cleaner on them since. They appear to be a bit dull and I'm looking to bring that shine back. I'm not sure if I should be using a chrome polish as I know polishes are abrasive. I'm also interested in a decent carnuba wax for the car.

Art

Hi Art,

i've been doing this for yrs. & on a variety of cars.

Get yourself some "1000 grit" steel wool & with light hand pressure; Just simply rub as if you were applying wax. The luster comes right back with no scratches etc etc. Then apply whatever car wax you have to seal it. You can do this on any of your chrome parts. You'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Russ

dklawson

Yoda
The aluminum foil cleaning method is usually mentioned in combination with Coke instead of water. The Coke has phosphoric acid in it and the combined scrubbing action and electrochemical reaction does help removing rust from chromed parts. However, you can replace the Coke with dilute phosphoric acid and get better results. If your car's chrome is not rusty... I would not bother with the aluminum foil method. I also see no difference whatsoever between the shiny side of the aluminum foil and "dull" side. I suspect the shiny side recommendation started as an urban legend.

Bon Ami is a highly regarded mild scrubbing cleaner. If you have some oxidation/rust you want to clean off Bar Keepers Friend is a similar product with a couple of additives that help at removing rust stains.

For actual polishing, I use Simichrome as others mentioned above. It is good at polishing heavily oxidized metal surfaces once you get them cleaned. If you do not have a lot of heavy deposits to remove, I find elbow grease with Nevr-Dull Wadding Compound works well (but slowly).

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I hit a small area of this badly rusted hubcap with metal cream polish and foil. It looks pretty good for about 30 seconds of scrubbing. Chrome shop would want between $75 and $100 each to plate them.

Pat

sorry for two pics. I can't seem to delete one of them.

Attachments

• IMG_2611 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2611 (Medium).JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2611 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2611 (Large).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 65