• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Choking Issue

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

What procedure is recommended to set the CHOKE on the HD8?

Yesterday, before what feels like our 45th snowstorm this year, the temperature was a balmy 38-degreese and I finally had the chance to change the oil in my BJ8P1. In preparation, I started the engine to warm up the 20W50 to a flowing consistency, and found it very difficult to get enough choke for the engine to finally start.

Over a significant period, I have adjusted the HD8 carbs and set the chokes an uncountable number of times. Still today, I must admit I am having trouble making the choke work properly at ½ or ever ¾ pull when the engine and weather are really cold.

Again, I would be interested to know how others set their chokes?

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Country flag
In a recent article in one of the national mags, they recommended putting the gas pedal to the floor before pulling the choke (don't turn on the ignition yet) all the way out. I found that there is less resistance to the pull and the choke pulls out further. Then release the pedal and turn on the ignition. I just want to get it started and release the choke asap so I let mine be a wee bit out of balance.
There are several good SU manuals on the market that walk you through it.

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Tahoe Healey,

Thanks for your reply. I had never heard that procedure for starting under choke before and will try it.

I have a number of manuals and articles that describe carburetor adjustment procedures but found there are many who have their own better way. I was in seeing if someone in the forum had a better way.

For example, a while back there was a discussion on how to set richness on a pair of HD8s. For years, I had set each carburetor through the use of its lift pin. The discussion presented the thought that the lift of the pin would indicate the richness of its opposite. After trying this approach, I seemed to have achieved a better mixture result than doing it via the book and verified this result with the use of 2 Color Tunes (rather than using 1).

Again, thanks for your reply and all the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have had good success with quickly moving the choke in and out several times before starting the engine (with the choke knob pulled out).

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
nevets said:
I have had good success with quickly moving the choke in and out several times before starting the engine (with the choke knob pulled out).
What does this accomplish?

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Makes the car start...

Seriously, some time ago I posted a question about cold weather starting and got this advice, and it works.

Here is a bit of discussion from that earlier thread...

Dave

I think it is a simple matter of displacement. When you pull the choke the needle seat (jet) is lowered, fuel fills the void. When you push the choke, the needle seat is raised displacing the fuel, some overflows into the surrounding carb area, some returns from whence it came. The important part is the overflow.

Not particurlarly elegant, but effective.

Thanks Thom,
I guess it mostly pumps by the inertia of the fuel, which keeps all of it from returning whence it came. So the more rapidly the choke is moved the more fuel that slops out.
D

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
GregW said:
nevets said:
What does this accomplish?
It actually squirts fuel into the intake manifiold. Works best when you're cranking the engine at the same time! It takes two hands to start a Healey in the winter! Been there, done it!
Patrick