• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Brake issue?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I was having trouble with what seemed to be the front brakes dragging or staying on somewhat. I rebuilt the MC and bought new pads and disks. When I drive the car for several miles it seems to roll freely but after extended driving I get the distinct impression that the brakes seem to be dragging again? I followed the break in procedure for the new pads. I know that new pads take awhile to break in but what is a reasonable amount of time for that to happen? I've heard that some new brake pads are are actually slightly oversize so the break in period would then take longer? In terms of the MC stop bolt....mine is the later TR3 where I believe the stop bolt was discontinued. I added the stop bolt to get better pedal height. Maybe I'm better off removing that stop bolt entirely if that is actually causing brake drag. Why was the stop bolt discontinued? PS. I have removed the guts of the restrictor valve.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I have seen the 'pads too thick' problem in these pages before. You might try to find a shop that can mill 1/8 inch off them. If you have any kind of anti-squeal plate, you can take it out. The pads will wear down on their own after several thousand miles. Once you have bedded new pads according to the manual, they are "broken in". If you can easily wiggle the pushrod going into the m/c, that system is not causing brake drag.
Bob

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
What are the symptoms that lead you to believe the brakes are dragging? Both sides? (Hot wheels, brake fade, poor gas mileage, noise, pulling to one side, etc.?)

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I have seen the 'pads too thick' problem in these pages before. You might try to find a shop that can mill 1/8 inch off them. If you have any kind of anti-squeal plate, you can take it out. The pads will wear down on their own after several thousand miles. Once you have bedded new pads according to the manual, they are "broken in". If you can easily wiggle the pushrod going into the m/c, that system is not causing brake drag.
Bob
I did leave the anti-squeal plates off.If the brake pads are dragging I hope I don't have to put up with that for a few thousand miles. I will wiggle the pushrod at the m/c to check for some play.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
What are the symptoms that lead you to believe the brakes are dragging? Both sides? (Hot wheels, brake fade, poor gas mileage, noise, pulling to one side, etc.?)
It just seems that the car accelerates and rolls freer before any initially braking but after applying the brakes a few after driving in traffic it seems like it has slowed down. I would say hot wheels on both sides.I know it is normal for the brake rotors to get hot from driving but is extremely hot to the touch normal?

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Check the free play of your brake pedal at the master cylinder.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yes. Can’t say I just adjust for a slight amount of movement before the rod touches the piston of the master cylinder.