• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifold

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Decided to change the engine bay appearance and return the TR4A to the cast iron exhaust manifold (from a 4 into 1 tubular header). The higher noise level with the tubular header was my main reason for wanting to change but I thought I'd try to reduce under-hood temperatures by having the manifold ceramic coated. I also wanted to make it attractive - read - no rusty looking cast iron. Because I haven't seen a grey or "cast iron" color that looked good (to me) and the car, while pretty, doesn't get shown, I chose a satin black coating. I'm hoping once installed it'll nicely contrast with the silver colored intake. Here are some shots of the manifold (got it back yesterday). And...I'll understand if I'm alone in liking its appearance. I'll post shots of it installed (which will probably be a month from now).

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like it. Just curious, what color options are there for ceramic coating? Also, did you have it done locally or did you have to send it away?

Bob

OP
3798j

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
There's a surprisingly large choice of colors - just about any color one could think of. Had it done locally by an outfit called Coating Concepts in Carlisle, Pa.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Jay,

Looks good to me! Let us know how it works out as I may have to consider that for mine. I just painted the first one black with heat-resistant paint when I rebuilt it.

Scott

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Jay, I'm curious how much of a difference was there, when you first switched the cast iron with the 'four into one' header?

OP
3798j

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Jay, I'm curious how much of a difference was there, when you first switched the cast iron with the 'four into one' header?
Tom, When it was done there were other changes (like carburetion and a rebuild) that confuses what kind of difference it made. Can't be sure what it alone improved...if anything.

OP
3798j

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
My change over back to the original (now coated) exhaust manifold has been completed. It is quieter but not hugely so - that's from both standing over the engine and as heard from the driver's seat. Under hood temps feel not as hot - but certainly not saying it's cool.
Anyway I'm glad I made the change. Other than general maintenance I really haven't done anything to the 4A in over 10 years. This small project allowed me the excuse to repaint the intake and thoroughly clean the carburetors. Plus I went with a new Bell front muffler and downpipe that seems to have pleasantly deepened the tailpipe sound compared to the old Thrush I had behind the header.

From this:

To this (yes I've promised myself to replace that incedibly ugly hood release cable):

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, that is a nice looking engine bay, I would certainly replace the hood release, if not for looks it least before the ratty looking wire snaps and leaves the hood stuck shut.

OP
3798j

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Wow, that is a nice looking engine bay, I would certainly replace the hood release, if not for looks it least before the ratty looking wire snaps and leaves the hood stuck shut.
Thanks. Like many, I don't use the cable release.