• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carpets

JimTR4

Country flag
Hi all,
I have a couple of questions for you.
I have a '64 TR4 and I'm sprucing up the interior over the winter. The existing carpet is extremely tatty and will be replaced.
So firstly, can anyone recommend a good source here in the US at a reasonable price? I'm not looking for a superb Wilton wool job or anything but rather a good quality, good fitting man-made material.
Secondly, the existing carpet has some sort of man-made underlay beneath it. This seems to have stuck to the floor. I don't think it was glued; it looks more like its kind of deteriorated and gone sticky! You can pull it off but not cleanly, it leaves bits behind. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting it off? I had intended to paint the floor with POR-15 once its all removed.
Many thanks.

Jim

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have had TR4 carpet from both TRF and Moss -- both were the correct/original grey loop.

I like TRF but their grey carpet was not so good -- faded to a weird orange color after a few years. They sent me a replacement for the worst piece (rear tunnel) but it didn't fare much better.

I then got the Moss kit -- in my opinion the details were not as nicely finished as the TRF carpet (e.g. puckers on the curved trim of the rear shelf piece, so protective pad by the dipper switch) but the color has remained true for many years now, even in the Tucson sun.

Can't answer about freeing up the remains of the pad -- the originals were quite free so perhaps it has been glued down by some PO -- if they used contact cement that may take some potent solvent to let go.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
A can of 3M Adhesive Remover would be great to remove the residue if it's sticking because of any kind of old spray adhesive, glue or similar material, or even if the carpet has somehow melded into the old paint. It's a great product and lasts a long time. Easy to use.

In case you're inclined, Rimmer Brothers has wool carpet sets that have more wool, and thicker wool, than others I've seen. Made in England. Rimmer Brothers also sells a carpet underlay cut specially for the car, to match the carpet sets. You could also cut your own from a jute type of material or other underlay-of course.

I was going to use Por 15 but decided instead to sand down any rust, apply Rust Mort and just spray a good finish of Rust-Oleum on the floor. If you keep the floors dry that should be good enough. I didn't want to paint my floors a color not orginal to the car.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ditto the feedback on UK Prestige, the fit for a TR4 was poor in my opinion. I put in a Moss kit and am very satisfied.

OP
JimTR4

JimTR4

Country flag
Thanks guys. I see there's a set sold on eBay by some UK distributor based in San Antonio. Goes for about $200 and can also supply cut under-padding.
Has anyone used an underlay? I guess the Rimmer one was used by KVH but I'm not wanting to glue this stuff down (don’t want the same issue I already have again!), does it stay in place OK if you use snaps through both the carpet and the underlay?
Anyone ever used that sound deadening, ally foil and bitumen stuff?
Again, thanks for any feedback.

Jim

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Jim have a look at British Parts Northwest(BCF sponsor)I have their carpet set in my TR6 since 1990. Still looks good with many miles on them(8500O). Fit was good,backing pad sewn on as well as heel and toe pads.all edges sewn.They still show them at $238.26 on their site.a couple of pics

Attachments

• 30017.jpg
    30017.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 30018.jpg
    30018.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 30019.jpg
    30019.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 186

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
No glue is used on the underlay I received from Rimmer. All fit great including the carpet and trim pieces. Not cheap. I also had fun installing custom snaps. I'd recommend never using glue except in the trim pieces.

When I was looking into all of this I emailed the San Antonio guys and asked about the wool/nylon content, etc. and never got a response, but they could be fine for what I know.

I do like what Casey shows above. Geo's gray set he mentions is great too--I've seen it.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I meant to add that I like that foil backed deadening product as well. Where I already had an underlay material I added the foil product in the forward area on the floor and up against the firewall.

OP
JimTR4

JimTR4

Country flag
Thnaks guys - does look like what I want casey but unfortunately BPNW only has a 4A no 4. Its a bit different what with the handbrake and all.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Google Bens auto parts- ebay stores or Stock interiors.com.Both show sets for TR4.